Transfer Students

Are you thinking about transferring to CSUN? Before you apply, make sure you meet the admissions requirements. A transfer student is someone who has earned regionally accredited college credits after the summer following high school graduation.

If you will earn a transfer associate (AA-T or AS-T) degree at a California community college, and it is posted on your final official transcript, you will be able to complete a bachelor’s degree in 60 more CSUN units, as long as the major is deemed similar to one at CSUN. Before you apply, find out which CSUN majors have been approved for the Associate Degree for Transfer program at the California State University’s Choose a Degree page.

Admissions requirements

California State University, Northridge welcomes applications from upper-division transfer students. With the growing number of students interested in pursuing their education at CSUN, the university has updated its transfer student admissions criteria through the use of impaction. Impaction is a tool that California State University (CSU) campuses use to manage the number of students it admits. CSUN has implemented academic and regional impaction to align with CSU enrollment targets.

Some majors are impacted, including accountancy, athletic training, biology, cinema and television arts, finance, health administration, kinesiology, music, psychology, public health and radiologic sciences. (Some majors have additional entrance requirements.)

The local admissions area has changed to include the 17 California community colleges from whom we get the most students and to which we are closest. They are:

Antelope Valley College
College of the Canyons
East Los Angeles College
Glendale Community College
Los Angeles City College
Los Angeles Harbor College
Los Angeles Mission College
Los Angeles Pierce College
Los Angeles Trade Technical College
Los Angeles Valley College
Moorpark College
Oxnard College
Pasadena City College
Santa Monica College
Southwest Los Angeles College
Ventura College
West Los Angeles College

Requirements for local admissions area applicants

  • A minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units)
  • A grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better
  • Completion of the four general education requirements: written communication, critical thinking, speech and college-level math

Requirements for nonlocal admissions area applicants

  • All of the above and a higher GPA
  • If you are applying for admission to a major with additional entrance requirements, you must also meet those additional criteria to be admitted.

Out-of-state admissions are not affected. Visit Cal State Apply for more information on minimum eligibility index score requirements.

To be eligible for admission to fall semester, you must complete the above requirements by the end of the previous spring term.

Cost of attendance

California State University makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. For more information regarding California State University, Northridge costs and financial aid, visit the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department website.

NOTE: Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, California State University must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees without notice until the date of instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All California State University listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.

Degrees and options

California State University, Northridge offers more than 60 undergraduate degrees and more than 70 master's programs across nine academic colleges. Visit the CSUN catalog website for the most up-to-date listing.

How to apply

If you are a transfer student, follow the application process below.

1. Review application deadlines and the status (open, closed or exceptions) of your desired program in the CSUN admissions calendar.

2. Select a major from the CSUN catalog. All transfer students must declare a major when applying; Undecided is not an option.

3. File an online application for admission through Cal State Apply.

4. Send all official transcripts, including any work in progress, to:

Admissions and Records
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91330