International Students

Are you an international student thinking about applying to CSUN? You'll find a general overview below, and specific details on application requirements and deadlines for international applicants at International Admissions. Also, check out the International and Exchange Student Center to learn more about campus resources for international students. 

To reach an international admissions advisor, email the appropriate contact.

Admissions requirements/How to apply

First-time freshmen

You're an international first-time freshman applicant if you have not yet completed any post-secondary course work at a college university, and you are planning to pursue a bachelor's degree program on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa. International first-time freshmen must complete the equivalent of a high school diploma and earn minimum GPA and English language proficiency test scores. For more information on admissions requirements, deadlines and how to apply, visit CSUN International Admissions.

Transfer students

You are considered a transfer student if you have completed postsecondary course work at an accredited community college or university in the United States or at a college or university located outside of the United States. One option is an Associate Degree for Transfer from a California Community College to a California State University (AA-T and AS-T)

If you're already attending an accredited two-year school in California, or an out-of-state college listed below, your school may have a Transfer Agreement Guarantee (TAG) with CSUN. Please consult your international transfer center’s school counselor to find out if a TAG contract with CSUN is available.

Out-of-state schools with TAG contracts


Visit CSUN International Admissions for more information and specific requirements, including English language proficiency test scores, deadlines and how to apply.

Post-baccalaureate or graduate students

You are considered a post-baccalaureate or graduate student if you have completed a postsecondary degree equal to a U.S. bachelor's degree and are eligible to apply for a master's degree at CSUN on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa. Visit CSUN International Admissions for more information, including how to apply, deadlines and English language proficiency test scores.

Second bachelor's students

Due to increased enrollment demands, CSUN is not accepting applications for second bachelor’s degree programs from international applicants at this time. Visit CSUN International Admissions for more information.

Returning students

International students who have completed non-extension course work in a previous spring or fall semester and those wishing to return after a disqualification in their last semester at CSUN may apply for readmission. Visit CSUN International Admissions for more information and specific requirements, including how to apply and deadlines.

Domestic students with international transcripts

Domestic students with transcripts from abroad (students with "mixed records") do not require a student visa (F-1 or J-1), but some individuals may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or another acceptable exam. Visit CSUN International Admissions for more information and specific requirements, including deadlines and how to apply.

Cost of attendance

California State University makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. For more information regarding California State University, Northridge costs and financial aid, visit the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department website. Additionally, CSUN Admissions and Records has created this list of helpful resources on financial aid and scholarships for international students.

Degrees and options

California State University, Northridge offers more than 60 undergraduate degrees and more than 70 master's programs across nine academic colleges. Visit the CSUN catalog website for the most up-to-date listing.