Thank you for your interest in becoming a New Student Orientation leader! Learn about being an orientation leader, what this experience can mean to you and the opportunity to gain new skills, and meet other potential orientation leaders.
New Student Orientation Staff
Each year, the Office of Student Involvement and Development selects a group of mature and dedicated undergraduate and graduate leaders to assist with the implementation of the New Student Orientation program during the 2014 calendar year. Orientation leaders serve as mentors for new students who are making the transition from their previous environments to California State University, Northridge through
- Leading groups throughout the days of orientation;
- Facilitating discussions;
- Engaging new students in Welcome All Matador events and activities;
- Helping new students transition to CSUN; and
- Assisting new student in navigating the campus and its resources.
The program offers a multi-tiered system, which encourages multiple years of involvement based on an individual's growth and development. Students can find themselves becoming involved as an orientation leader, Matador mentor (returners), TAKE cast member and an orientation coordinator.
More than 100 orientation leaders are hired in this unique and rewarding experience that encourages personal and professional growth and receive
- Priority registration;
- Networking opportunities;
- Leadership retreat;
- Transferable leadership skills;
- Multi-cultural awareness; and
- Enhanced communication skills.
There are no information sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back on this page for upcoming dates, times and locations.
We will be discussing what will be expected of you as a New Student Orientation leader and what you can expect from us, your orientation team. Be ready to ask any questions you have regarding orientation as we are ready to answer them all. We look forward to meeting you!
Thank you for your interest in becoming a New Student Orientation leader. Our application process is not open at this time, please check back with us at a later time.
Students who have served as an NSO leader in prior years are eligible to apply to become a Matador Mentor. Information on this role is available through the NSO Leadership MOODLE page as well as the application information. Applications typically will get posted on the NSO MOODLE page in October, and due in early November. Please connect with a Student Coordinator, or staff member should you have any questions.
TAKE Cast Member
Thank you for your interest in the TAKE leadership program. Please follow the steps below to complete the application process. Please note that all application materials are submitted electronically through Moodle.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 7th, 5:00pm
Applying to become an TAKE Cast Member is easy and online through MOODLE. Please follow these instructions to navigate to the MOODLE online application:
- Login to your MOODLE account.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Search courses bar.
- Search by typing the keyword TAKE Student Development in the text box.
- Select the course TAKE Student Development.
- You will be prompted to enter an Enrollment Key, which is 2015TAKE
- Once you successfully enroll in the MOODLE event/course for TAKE Student Development, you'll follow the easy steps to submit your application.
- Meet new people and create new friendships
- Leadership and diversity training
- Valuable networking connections with faculty and staff
- Familiarity with the campus and resources
- Impact new students' first year experience and serve as a mentor
- Gain public speaking skills
- A better sense of CSUN pride
- Priority registration
- Academic commitment of a 2.5 GPA
- Dependability for all required dates during the spring semester, summer sessions and fall semester
- Desire to serve as a mentor to new students and peers
- Approachability: Be open to views, ideas and opinions that differ from one's own
The goal of New Student Orientation is to support the continuous process of integrating new students into the academic, cultural and social context of CSUN.
- Four leadership trainings
- New Student Orientation program events
- Welcome All Matadors events (President's Picnic and Freshman Convocation)
- Office hours (amounts may vary pending on semester and years)
Commencement: Each leader must participate in at least three ceremonies as an usher during commencement.