In keeping with the goal of New Student Orientation, we have designed this program to meet the needs of incoming transfer students through the following:
- Providing the opportunity for students to gain knowledge and information about campus resources and services.
- Informing students on how to achieve academic success.
- Encouraging interaction among current and new students to ensure a smooth transition.
- Connection and networking with college administration, faculty and staff.
- Introducing career planning to encourage thoughtful and informed decisions about coursework and major opportunities.
- Informing students on topics related to financial matters which will bring attention to obligations, opportunities and responsibilities.
Register for New Student Orientation
Please take the time to register for New Student Orientation. Space is limited, making registration essential.
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
8:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
8:30 a.m. Check-in and Campus Resources Tour
New Student Orientation leaders will check students in for orientation. Once checked-in, students will be encouraged to go on a campus tour, which will be held every 15 minutes until 9:15 a.m. Tours will focus on various locations that will help integrate new students into the academic, cultural and social context of the campus.
Campus Resources and Student Services Fair: Once finished with a campus tour, representatives from key service departments will be available at a tabling effort, where students will be able to collect information and ask questions to professional staff members.
9:45 a.m. University Welcome
10 a.m. CSUN Resources and Services
Panelists will speak briefly on various departments under two general themes: Service Centers and Research and Involvement Opportunities.
Panel 1: Service Centers and Research (10 a.m.-10:30 a.m.)
The panel will cover the Career Center, Klotz Student Health Center (SHC), University Counseling Services (UCS), Disability Resources & Educational Services (DRES), Oviatt Library and the Department of Police Services (DPS) / Parking & Transportation.
Panel 2: Involvement and Support Opportunities (10:30 a.m.-11 p.m.)
The panel will introduce Associated Students (AS), Matador Involvement Center (MIC), University Student Union (USU), Student Recreation Center (SRC), Pride Center and Veterans Resource Center (VRC).
11 a.m. Technology @ CSUN
Zack Hillbruner, director of user support services for CSUN Information Technology, and Technology Services staff will present on the online student portal, "Moodle," IT services and support, and CSUN network connections.
11:15 a.m. Steps to Academic Success
Renee Martinez, academic advisor for the College of Health and Human Development, will inform students on making purposeful decisions regarding their academic career; review resources towards the process of graduating; and answer possible questions regarding academic advisement, rules, and policies.
11:45 a.m. Optional Breakout Sessions
Financial Aid & Scholarships: Sonya Adlersberg, Financial Aid Counselor with the Department of Financial Aid & Scholarships, will provide information surrounding financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Time permitting, a question and answer segment will help address specific students' needs.
Optional Campus Tour: The university orientation leaders will provide a tour for those who either missed the earlier morning's campus tour or just want additional information about CSUN. Orientation leaders assist students with navigating the campus, which will conclude at the bookstore complex.
Optional Library Tour: The Oviatt Librarians will offer tours of the Delmar T. Oviatt Library, home to the Learning Resource Center and the Learning Commons.
Optional Career Center Visit: Career Center staff will discuss the usefulness of the Career Center, including workshops offered by staff and career guidance.
We look forward to seeing you at your New Student Orientation. Here are some essential tips and reminders:
- Your orientation parking pass will be emailed to you when you register for your New Student Orientation. Be sure to bring it with you.
- When you come to campus, be sure you are in the designated parking lot or structure that is on your parking pass. For directions and lot locations, see our campus map.
- Bring you class schedule to the orientation so that orientation leaders may help you map out your first few days on campus, making your initial class meetings a breeze.
- Bring a CSUN student ID or another form of picture ID to check in to the program. For a CSUN student ID, visit Bayramian Hall student services.
Maps and Permits (Maps and permits will be able to download and print as the programming date becomes closer. Please check back this page around mid-July.)
- Welcome Transfer Students! (2013)
- Technology @ CSUN (2013)
- Steps to Academic Success (2013)
- Financial Aid Basics (2013)
- Welcome Transfer Students! (2012)
- Technology @ CSUN (2012)
- Steps to Success (2012)
- Financial Aid Basics (2012)