This is tutorial only. No login is required.
This guide explains how student veterans, their spouses and dependents may request Veterans Educational Benefits Certification through myNorthridge Portal and submit the required documents online.* Even if you do not plan to claim veterans educational benefits, you can upload DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, in order to qualify for priority registration.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN…
- Prepare your documents as PDF files. If a document has multiple pages, include all pages in one PDF file. A resolution of 200 dpi is generally fine unless the print is faint and hard to read. Documents must be legible and may not exceed 5 megabytes.
- Read this guide first.
- Save your changes to each module page before clicking “Next” or “Continue.”
Want to add the “For Veterans” pagelet to your myNorthridge Home tab? See “Adding Content” at Portal Help Guide.
*If you have already submitted paper documents to the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office, you do not need to upload duplicates. However, some documents are required after enrolling in classes each term. Learn more at Veterans Educational Benefits for Continuing Students or Dependents Educational Benefits for Continuing Students.
Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Select the myNorthridge Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
Your myNorthridge Home page displays.
- Select the ACADEMICS tab.
- Locate the For Veterans box.
- Under the "Use Your Benefits at CSUN" heading, select the link Veterans Educational Benefit Certification.
*To add the “For Veterans” box to the HOME tab, see the Portal Help Guide.
The Veterans Educational Benefit Certification introduction displays. The first section lists the forms you may need to upload.
The second section, shaded in blue, previews the online module steps you will be asked to complete.
The Term Selection page displays.
- From the drop-down menu, select the term for which you want to certify benefits. (Ignore the initial code numbers.)
- Select Continue and then Next.
The Benefits Information page displays. Use the drop down menus and checkboxes to indicate:
- Your veterans service branch
- The type of VA educational benefits you have been awarded (e.g., Chapter number)
- Who will receive the benefits
- Whether you are on active duty
- Whether you are receiving any other kind of financial assistance, waiver or scholarship
Click Save to record your answers. Then click Next.
A pop-up window confirms that your benefits information has been saved.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Select Next on the Benefits Information page to continue.
The Form Attachments page displays. Here you can upload new documents, including DD Form 214, your Certificate of Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits, location/school transfer and concurrent enrollment (parent school) forms, study abroad documents, and any course substitution waivers.
You can also view documents you’ve already uploaded along with the date and time stamp.
Be sure to:
- Upload PDF files only.
- Scan all pages of a single, multi-page document into one PDF file.
- Use the appropriate “Attach” link shown below. (Please contact us if you upload a file using the wrong link.)
The Enrollment Certify page displays your class schedule for the term you selected.
The Veterans Administration requires CSUN to verify progress toward your degree. If your schedule changes, notify the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office immediately.
Select the Certify button to request VA Educational Benefits for the classes in your schedule.
A pop-up window confirms that your request for benefits for the term and class schedule have been submitted. (In the grayed out background, the Acknowledgements page displays.)
Click OK to continue.
A second pop-up window reminds you that your acknowledgement is needed.
Click OK to close the window and complete the Acknowledgements page.
Review the entire Acknowledgements page.
The first section outlines your responsibilities to report all class schedule changes, claim benefits only for courses that count toward your degree objective, maintain the number of units for which you have requested benefits, and maintain satisfactory academic progress. You also acknowledge the consequences of not abiding by these requirements.
The second section, Read and Check, lists conditions under which veterans educational benefits can be certified, explains some rules governing benefits, and asks you to acknowledge these conditions and rules.
By checking the box, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the stated conditions and that the information you have provided throughout the online benefits certification module is true and correct.
To accept the agreement and complete your request for Veterans Educational Benefits Certification, check the box and then click Save and Submit.
If you have any questions about the online veterans educational benefit certification process, please contact: