What is AKD?
The Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society was founded in 1920 by University of Southern California sociologist Dr. Emory S. Bogardus for the purposes of stimulating scholarship and promoting the scientific study of society. Today there are more than 450 AKD chapters at colleges and universities around the world. You can find the main website for AKD at: www.alphakappadelta.org
What are the Benefits of becoming a member of AKD?
- You will receive a certificate from the Alpha Kappa Delta International Honor Society at our annual induction ceremony in May. Additionally you will receive a one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry.
- You can indicate on your resume that you are a member of an honor society.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of a CSUN recognized student organization that participates in various academic and social events.
- You have the opportunity to meet, socialize, and plan events with other sociology majors
- You are eligible to compete in undergraduate and graduate student paper competitions
When are applications due?
Applications are accepted during the Fall and Spring semesters. The due dates will be announced to all students.
How much does it cost to become a member?
There is a one-time initiation fee of $60 required for membership. Once you join AKD you become a lifetime member. Some students also choose to purchase an Honor Cord for $15 to be worn at graduation.
When will I find out if I am approved for membership?
You will be contacted by the AKD Faculty Advisor (Dr. Daniel Olmos), within two weeks of turning in your application.
When will I receive my AKD certificate?
You will receive your certificate at the AKD induction ceremony, held each year in May, usually during the week of graduation. You will receive an official invitation to the ceremony approximately 3-4 weeks in advance. At the induction ceremony we also handout honor cords (if ordered by members).
How can I find out about AKD meetings and events?
Once you become a member of AKD you will be put on the official e-mail list. You will receive periodic e-mails about meetings and events and they may also be posted on this CSUN AKD website under the "Events" Tab.
What if I can't make it to AKD Meetings and Events?
If you are unable to make it to AKD meetings or events, it will have no affect your membership. We would like to have as much student involvement as possible however we realize that meetings and events may conflict with your scheduled classes or work obligations.