The sociology major is designed for those who desire desire a liberal arts education with emphasis on sociology; those who desire a liberal arts background to prepare themselves for graduate study in sociology, social welfare, or the related professional fields of law, business, medicine, or teaching; and those who desire to move directly into careers involving general urban problems, social welfare, counseling, community work, or the field of corrections.
The Department of Sociology offers several degree options, drawing on and empowered by the various areas of specialization of department faculty.
Catalog listing for Undergraduate Major in Sociology (Bachelor of Arts)
- Option I - General Sociology
- Option II - Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Option III - Social Welfare/Social Justice
- Option IV Work and Society
- Undergraduate Minor in Sociology
- Undergraduate Minor in Human Sexuality
The department also participates in the following interdisciplinary programs: