Prospective Students

  • Male student in lab.

    I am a Future Veteran Student

  • Watch Hrithik's Video Story.

    Why CSUN: Sharing the Student Story

Student Veteran or Dependent: Education Benefits for Veterans and Dependents

We are excited that you are considering becoming a CSUN Matador! As a military-connected student, you’ve started an important journey with us. The Office of Veterans Affairs at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) will assist you with the education benefits process and help pave the way for you to join our vibrant university community.

  • As a veteran, dependent or survivor, you may qualify for a number of federal benefits. Visit VA Education and Training Benefits to determine your eligibility and apply.
  • For information on the CalVet Fee Waiver, please visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  • CSUN Request for Veterans Benefits -
    • New students - For your initial request, please refer to your class level at Student Veteran or Dependent.
    • Continuing students - File your official request online through the "For Veterans" box in myNorthridge Portal after registering for classes EVERY TERM—winter, spring, summer and fall.
    • All students - Report any changes in your class schedule or academic plan to the School Certifying Official in the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office immediately to avoid delay in benefits.  

If you have questions along the way, you can always contact us at (818) 677-5928 or

Information for students using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits (CH31) or Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (CH33)

A student using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits (CH31) or Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (CH33) will be allowed to enroll in and attend courses and access campus facilities while the campus awaits payment for tuition and fees from the VA. While awaiting receipt of funds from the VA, California State University, Northridge will not impose any penalty, charge late fees or require an eligible student to borrow additional funds to cover tuition or fees. This waiting period begins the date the student provides appropriate documentation and continues either until funds are received from the VA or until 90 days after the School Certifying Official has certified the student’s enrollment for tuition and fees.

To demonstrate current eligibility and intent to use Chapter 31 or 33 benefits, a student must provide the following documents:

  1. VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status); or
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Education Enrollment Status form (printed from the VA website).
  3. A written request to use either VA Vocational Rehabilitation or Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits; and
  4. All additional information requested by the School Certifying Official to properly certify enrollment to the VA.

For more information regarding this policy, contact your School Certifying Official at or (818) 677-5928.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at