This is a tutorial only. No login is required.
Class Search allows students and guests to:
- Browse the Schedule of Classes at any time
- Search by Additional Category (e.g., GE courses, online courses, myCSUNtablet courses)
- Search for Open classes only
- View assigned textbooks
- View the class final exam schedule
Class Search has three main parts:
- Search page to enter your selection criteria
- Course Results page to view courses matching your criteria
- Class Details page to view specific section requirements and class notes
Ways to access Class Search from the CSUN home page (www.csun.edu):
1. As a guest: Locate the Class Search link on the CSUN home page. No login is required.
2. With a CSUN account: Log into myNorthridge Portal with your CSUN User ID and Password. Then:
- Students: On the Academics tab under "Enroll in Classes" or "Academic Quick Links" boxes, select the Search for Classes icon.
- Faculty or Staff: Click Class Search from the Student Administration or Assisting Students boxes.
3. Access Class Search directly at www.csun.edu/class-search
The Class Search page displays four drop-down menus and one checkbox:
- Additional Category
- Show Open Classes Only (checkbox)
From the required *Term drop-down menu, select a term.
You can view a tentative Schedule of Classes several months before registration begins.
From the required *Session menu, select a session type:
- Select Regular to view courses for matriculated CSUN students and non-matriculated Open University students.
- Select The Tseng College - Credit to view credit courses in degree and certificate programs offered through extension and summer courses.
- Select The Tseng College - Non Credit to view extension courses available for Continuing Education units or no credit.
Choose a subject from the Subject/Department menu. To view all courses offered by a department for the selected term and session type.
With the menu open, type the first letter of the subject to jump to it quickly. For example, type "K" to jump to "KIN - Kinesiology."
You can further narrow your search by selecting an Additional Category:
- Accelerated and PACE Courses
- Community-Based Learning (Service Learning)
- Experimental & Selected Topics
- Freshman Connection Courses
- Freshman Reading and Writing
- GE Plan E
- GE Plan R
- In Person - On Campus (50-100% of classes held on campus)
- Low Cost Course Materials
- MyCSUNtablet Courses
- Online Courses - Find details at Fall 2021 Planning Gateway - Academics and FAQs for Fall 2021 online course types.
- Online - Fully
- Online - Hybrid
- Online - On-Campus
- UNIV 60 - Supplemental Instruction
- Zero Cost Course Materials
To view courses in all departments for an Additional Category, leave the Subject/Department field blank.
To search for online course types, first select the Subject. Then, from the Additional Category menu, select one of the four “Online” options listed below. Finally, further filter your search for asynchronous, intermittent, or synchronous/scheduled online meetings. Course types include:
- In Person - On Campus: Classes that meet on campus ALL of the time (in person) or approximately HALF of the time (online hybrid).
- Online - Fully: There are no on-campus meetings. Further filter by:
- FOA = Asynchronous: There are no scheduled online meetings at set times.
- FOI = Intermittent: Some online meetings are scheduled, and students must attend online at set times.
- FOS = Synchronous: All online meetings are scheduled and students must attend online at set times.
- Online - Hybrid: About 50% of class meetings are held on campus.
- Online - On-Campus: Most meetings are online, with some meetings on campus (fewer than half). Online meetings can be asynchronous (COA), intermittent (COI), or synchronous/scheduled (COS).
The image below shows Fall 2021 Chemistry classes that are offered “COS,” mostly online, but partly on campus. Online meetings are scheduled, and students are expected to attend online at scheduled, set times.
To view only those class sections that are available for enrollment, check the Show Open Classes Only box.
By default, Class Search displays all scheduled sections: open, closed (full) and canceled classes. You will need to view closed classes in order to wait list for them.
- Click Quick Search to view results.
- The search results will display in the Course List.
A Legend explains icons, features and navigation.
Click the Expand icon to view the Class Section List for a single course.
The Class Section List features display in a table with these headings:
- Detail Icon
- Section Number
- Online Course Type (not shown in picture)
- Textbooks (icon button)
- ZeroCost Materials (icon button)
- Class Number
- Seats Available
- Enrollment Status
- Component Type
- Location (links to campus map)
- Consent (permission required)
To sort a column, click its heading.
Click the Detail icon for each section to view section specific information.
The Class Detail page displays for the class section you selected.
Class Detail features include:
- Textbooks (link) - Note: zero-cost course materials will be noted here.
- Class Information
- Meeting Information
- Final Exam schedule
- Enrollment Information
- Course Information*
*Always check the Notes and Course Information for class requirements and special instructions.
To start a new search, click Return to go back to the previous page. To clear all fields, select the Reset button.