University Counseling Services (UCS) at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), is a member of APPIC (Association of Psychology Post-Doctoral and Internship Centers). We are currently accepting applications for three (3), full-time, one-year positions in our 2020-2021 doctoral internship. The dates of the internship year are from August 1, 2020, to July 31, 2021.
- APA or CPA accredited doctoral program in counseling, clinical, or school psychology.
- Students enrolled in non-accredited doctoral programs are “eligible to apply IF their doctoral program has provided appropriate documentation to APPIC verifying approval for a site visit by an eligible accrediting organization (APA or CPA), has been accepted by APPIC as a “Doctoral Program Associate” (DPA), and has paid the appropriate DPA fees. The payment of DPA fees by the doctoral program is now required for its students to be eligible” (Per APPIC).
- Completion of all required coursework and supervised practicum prior to start of internship
- 500 hours of direct contact prior to the application deadline
- Successful completion of comprehensive examinations prior to the application deadline for the APPIC Match
- Successfully completed their dissertation proposal (if applicable) prior to the start of internship
- Certified as ready for internship by doctoral program
- Completion of 1000 total practicum hours
- Interest in and experience working in a university/college counseling center setting
- Interest in and experience providing individual short-term therapy and group therapy
- Interest in and experience providing outreach and consultation
- Interest in and experience providing crisis intervention and management
- Strong interest in and commitment to multiculturalism/diversity as well as experience in working with diverse clients
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively
We utilize the uniform psychology internship application (AAPI Online) developed by APPIC and only accept applications that are submitted electronically via the APPIC “AAPI Online” service. Please access the AAPI Online through the APPIC website.
UCS does not require any materials supplemental to the AAPI Online. However, we do request that your:
- Cover letter includes a description of your interest in our internship program, why you believe you would be a good fit with our internship program, your previous relevant clinical and academic experiences, and how completing an internship at UCS fits into your short- and long-term goals
- Curriculum Vitae is current and complete, reflecting applied professional experience including descriptions of experience, location, and hours of clinical training
- Three (3) letters of recommendation are from professionals, at least two of which are authored by supervisors who can speak with familiarity and specificity about your applied clinical performance.
Our application deadline is November 1, 2019, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST). Your AAPI Online application must be complete and electronically submitted to us by that date.
The following is a summary of our selection process:
- The Coordinator of Training reviews all applications to identify applicants who meet minimum requirements.
- Two members of the Intern Selection Committee review every completed application that meets minimum requirements.
- Upon review of all eligible applications, the Intern Selection Committee discusses applicants and selects applicants invited to interview.
- In accordance with APPIC policies, we notify all applicants (who submitted a complete application) of their interview status.
- Applicants selected to be interviewed are contacted by telephone and/or e-mail by December 15, 2019, to schedule an interview. Applicants have the option of interviewing on-site or by telephone.
- Interviews are conducted throughout the month of January 2020.
- Interviews are approximately 90 minutes and include: structured questions, a role-play based on a vignette, and limited time for applicants to ask questions.
- Each interview is conducted by three members of the Intern Selection Committee (two counseling staff members and a current UCS intern). The current UCS intern in the interview team participates as a “client” in the role-play portion of the interview.
- After all interviews are complete, the Intern Selection Committee discusses all interviewees, and the Coordinator of Training submits our rank list to the National Matching Service (NMS).
Please feel free to contact the Coordinator of Training, Dr. Pat Alford-Keating (email@example.com), if you have any questions or wish to speak to a current intern at any time throughout the process.
UCS follows all guidelines of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) and participates in the APPIC Match. Therefore, we agree to abide by the APPIC policy summarized in the following statement: “This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant.”
Please register for the National Matching Process. Our Program Code Number for the APPIC Match is 212911.
Our internship program is accredited by the American Psychological Association. Any inquiries regarding the accreditation status of our internship training program should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation at the following address.
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 336-5979
If you have any questions about our training program or the application process, please contact:
Pat Alford-Keating, Ph.D., ABPP
Assistant Director/Coordinator of Training
University Counseling Services
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St., Bayramian Hall, Room 520
Northridge, CA 91330-8217
Phone: (818) 677-2366, option 1
FAX: (818) 677-7910
Please note: A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily as a condition of employment at California State University, Northridge. Background screenings will be conducted after the Match. Applicants who match to our program but do not successfully pass the background check will be dismissed from the internship (see APPIC Match Policy 6b).
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, CSUN strives to create a community in which a diverse population can work, teach and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights of each individual. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, medical information, marital status, or veteran status. For more information about the University, check our website: http://www.csun.edu/.