Making your first appointment is easy. Any regularly enrolled CSUN student who is interested in accessing mental health services may contact UCS during regular business hours, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. To make an appointment, you may telephone (818)677-2366, option 1 or come to UCS, which is located on the fifth (5th) floor of Bayramian Hall, Room 520. Our Support Staff will assist you in scheduling an initial Intake appointment to speak with one of our Intake counselors. Intake appointments are offered throughout the week on many different days and at a variety of times to accommodate students' schedules. Intake appointments are scheduled up to two (2) weeks in advance. While you are waiting for your first appointment, please review our Self-Help Library.
Most UCS services are offered on an appointment basis, but situations arise that require immediate or same-day attention. You do not need an appointment if you have a crisis or urgent matter. Please see our Urgent Care page for more information.
Prior to your first appointment, you will be asked to complete some paperwork similar to the forms you would complete before seeing a doctor for the first time. These forms will provide information about your history, your family and your current concerns. The information is valuable in helping us understand your needs.
Once you have scheduled your intake appointment, we ask that you complete the Intake Questionnaire and Consent Form online prior to your appointment day. It usually takes 20-40 minutes. Follow the instructions below.
- Log in to MyHealth@CSUN using your SOLAR user name and password.
- You will then be directed to a screen that asks you to verify your date of birth. When you verify this information, you will be directed to a new screen.
- From this screen, choose Appointments. Locate your upcoming appointment at UCS. At the bottom of your appointment, you will find a link in blue to our questionnaire. Click on this link and proceed to the questionnaire.
- When you have completed the questionnaire, select Submit. This will transmit the questionnaire to us electronically.
- Next, refer to the left-hand side of the screen, locate and select Forms. Then, proceed down the list to the bottom, locate and select UCS Informed Consent.
- Complete all required information on this form, then select Submit. This will transmit the second form to us electronically.
- Call our office at (818) 677-2366 and select option one to verify receipt of your forms.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes early for your initial appointment. During your first appointment, you will meet with one of our counselors and discuss the concerns that led you to visit University Counseling Services and how they are currently impacting you. They will also gather information about your history and background. This appointment usually lasts between 35 and 50 minutes, and it gives the counselor the opportunity to learn about your needs and discuss how the services provided by UCS may help.
The intake counselor will then make recommendations as to how your mental health needs can best be addressed, either through short-term counseling services (RIO or other workshops, groups, or individual counseling) at UCS or referrals in the community. If the Intake counselor determines that you would benefit from longer-term counseling or more specialized care, we will work with you to obtain alternative treatment, including referrals to mental health providers/agencies in the community who accept your insurance or who provide low cost services.