Making your first appointment is easy. Any regularly enrolled CSUN student who is interested in accessing mental health services may contact UCS during regular business hours, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. To make an appointment, please call (818)677-2366, and select option 1. Our warm and friendly Support Staff will be happy to assist you in scheduling an Initial Evaluation appointment to speak with one of our therapists.
The first appointment with a therapist at UCS is called an Initial Evaluation. We offer these first appointments each day of the week and at a variety of times to accommodate students' schedules. Initial Evaluation appointments are scheduled up to two (2) weeks in advance. While you are waiting for your first appointment, please review the many resources on our website, including our Self-Help Library and/or Videos, Blogs, and Presentations page which includes five (5) different recorded mindfulness exercises amongst other resources.
Most UCS services are offered on an appointment basis, but situations arise that require immediate or same-day attention. You do not need an appointment if you have a crisis or urgent matter. Please see our Urgent Care page for more information.
Paperwork for First Appointment
Prior to your first appointment, you will be asked to complete some paperwork similar to the forms you would complete before seeing a doctor for the first time. These forms will provide information about your history, your family and your current concerns. The information is valuable in helping us understand your needs.
Once you have scheduled your Initial Evaluation appointment, we ask that you complete the Initial Evaluation Questionnaire and Consent Forms (UCS Informed Consent for Counseling Services and UCS Telemental Health Services Informed Consent) online prior to your appointment time. It usually takes 20-40 minutes. Please follow the instructions below and don't hesitate to call us if you need assistance with these tasks as (818)677-2366, option 1.
- Log in to MyHealth@CSUN using your SOLAR user name and password.
- You will then be directed to a screen that asks you to verify your date of birth. When you verify this information, you will be directed to a new screen.
- From this screen, choose Appointments. Locate your upcoming appointment at UCS. At the bottom of your appointment, you will find a link in blue to our questionnaire. Click on this link and proceed to the questionnaire.
- When you have completed the questionnaire, select Submit. This will transmit the questionnaire to us electronically.
- Next, refer to the left-hand side of the screen, locate and select Forms. Then, proceed down the list to the bottom, locate and select UCS Informed Consent.
- Complete all required information on this form, then select Submit. This will transmit the second form to us electronically.
- Next, continuing on the Forms list, locate and select the UCS Telemental Health Services Informed Consent.
- Complete all required information on this form, then select Submit. This will transmit the third form to us electronically.
- Finally, on the Forms list, locate and select SHC Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Complete all required information, if it has not yet been completed, then select Submit. This will transmit the final form to us electronically.
- Call our office at (818) 677-2366 and select option one to verify receipt of your forms.
Please note important information about current TeleMental Health Services:
- Please call our support staff at (818) 677-2366, Option 1, 15-20 minutes before your Initial Evaluation appointment time to do a “pre-check in” for your appointment.
During the pre-check in, the support staff will confirm that you have completed all necessary paperwork
- Appointment questionnaire
- Informed Consent
- Telemental Health Informed Consent
- Notice of Privacy Practices (HIPAA Form)
- Support staff will provide you with instructions on how to access and complete the CCAPS (Counseling Center Assessment of Psychological Symptoms).
- Once you complete the CCAPS, your therapist will be notified to review your responses.
- The therapist will then call you by phone from one of the following:
- A CSUN campus line, identified with the prefix (818) 677-
- Or, a blocked number if the therapist is not able to use their campus phone line