Sede Vacante 1799-1800
(August 29,1799 — March 14, 1800
Documents concerning the Election of 1800
- Breve of Pius VI, authorizing election of a Pope by Cardinals in Rome, without waiting for Cardinals outside Rome to arrive (February ?, 1797)
- Constitution Christi Ecclesiae, authorizing delays in the beginning of a Conclave, and holding a Conclave elsewhere than in Rome (December 30, 1797).
- Constitution Quum nos, issued by Pius VI to regulate the next Conclave (November 13, 1798).
- Principal Instructions of the Imperial Government for Cardinal Herzan (November 26, 1799).
- Secret Instructions of the Imperial Government for Cardinal Herzan (November 26, 1799).
- Cardinal Gerdil's tally sheet of votes at the Scrutinies, from December 2 to January 14.
- Cardinal Consalvi's Memoirs on Cardinal Herzan's first week at the Conclave (mid-December, 1799).
- Letter of Cardinal Herzan to Baron Thugut (December 24, 1799).
- Herzan writes to Thugut about the membership in the two parties, and about Cardinal Caprara raising the issue of the Three Legations with him (January 8, 1800).
- Ex-Cardinal Altieri's Retractatio on his deathbed (Rome, February 8, 1800).
- Talleyrand to the Spanish Ambassador in Paris, the Marquis de Muzquiz, with the Spanish reply to Muzquiz: French attempt to nullify the Conclave (February 18, 1800).
- Cardinal Herzan to Baron Thugut: attempt at mediation by committee, February 15-20 (February 21. 1800).
- Cardinal Maury to Louis XVIII: The Conclave in the second half of February (March 1, 1800).
- Maury to Louis XVIII: Candidacies of Valenti, then Calcagnini and Gerdil (March 8, 1800).
- Herzan to Thugut: interview with Chiaramonti, who stands a good chance of being elected; campaign for Mattei and Valenti abandoned as hopeless (March 12, 1800).
- Letter of Cardinal Maury to Louis XVIII: the Spanish veto threatened against Cardinal Mattei, and its consequences (March 12, 1800).
- Cardinal Herzan to Baron Thugut: the Election of Cardinal Chiaramonti (Pius VII) (March 14, 1800).
- Letter of Cardinal Herzan to Baron Thugut. Post-Conclave self-justification (March 22, 1800).
- Ambassador Alquier to Talleyrand: Spanish joy at the Election of Pius VII. No cooperation with French subversion of the Election (March 30, 1800).
May 24, 2014 11:41 AM