Board of Directors
Spring 2015 Election Results
Apply for a Seat on the Board of Directors Today
Start Living the Matador Life by making decisions to benefit the entire student body, building a network of professionals and promising students, enhancing your leadership skills, and learning how a multi-million dollar organization operates. You could be the one who brings new services to the USU and the change students want to see. An open seat is waiting for you.
USU Board of Directors
In the last few years, the USU Board of Directors (BOD) and its committees have renovated the USU, voted to increase funding for large-scale events such as Matador Nights, and launched the referendum to build the Student Recreation Center. Start doing more now, on your campus, with the BOD.
Are you interested in joining the USU BOD? There are three ways to get involved:
- Run for a seat on the BOD in the Spring Elections. Each spring, students run in the AS/USU elections for five of the ten student seats.
- Apply for an open seat on the BOD if there are any vacancies. Contact the BOD Graduate Assistant to find out about any current vacancies.
- Join a BOD Committee. Join one of the standing committees to learn about the BOD and the USU and develop skills for your future. The standing committees include: the audit committee, the facilities and commercial services committee, the finance committee, and the personnel committee. Students who serve on committees and demonstrate leadership potential are always encouraged to run for a seat on the BOD.
Students who serve on the BOD or a committee must have a minimum cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA, and must have completed at least one semester at California State University, Northridge.
- The USU BOD will increase awareness about USU Programs and Services with the support from the staff.
- The USU BOD will increase their visibility and accountability.
- The USU BOD will assist in the completion of the USU’s Program Review.
- The USU BOD will assist in the assessment of the student body’s utilization of space for student programs and services, lounge and study space, conference and meeting space, and storage space and recommend how to meet current and future needs.
- The USU BOD will continue to assist in the development and design of the Wellness Center.
- The USU BOD will assist in the monitoring and updating of the Long Term Financial Plan.
2014-2015 Meeting Schedule
- July 21, 2014*
- August 25, 2014
- September 22, 2014
- October 20, 2014
- November 17, 2014
- December 1, 2014
- January 26, 2015
- February 23, 2015
- March 16, 2015
- April 13, 2015
- May 4, 2015
- June 8, 2015
Meetings are held on Mondays in the Grand Salon, USU at 12:30 p.m.
*July 21, 2014 meeting is held in the Northridge Center, USU
Other Important BOD Dates
BOD Summer Retreat
June 26–27, 2014
Summer Student Summit
Holiday — Labor Day
ACUI Region I Conference— University of La Verne
Holiday — Veteran’s Day
NIRSA Region VI Conference — Oregon
Holiday — Thanksgiving
Fall Final Exams
Dec. 24–Jan. 1, 2015
Winter Student Summit
Jan. 13, 2015
Holiday — Martin Luther King, Jr.
NIRSA Annual Conference — Dallas, TX
March 30 – April 2
Holiday — Cesar Chavez Day
ACUI Annual Conference — San Antonio, TX
BOD Year-End Celebration
Spring Final Exams
Holiday — Memorial Day
Coordinator, Special Initiatives
Associate Director, Marketing and Programs
Jesus Ramirez-Martinez, Chair
Shahtaj Khan, Vice-Chair
Debra L. Hammond, Executive Secretary
Shelley Ruelas, University Representative
Sharon Eichten, University Representative
Jaclyn Kietzman, Staff Representative
Barbara Gross, Faculty Representative
Tonee Sherrill, Alumni Representative
Amber Bynum, Student Representative
Jorge Guzman, Student Representative
Josue Najera, Student Representative
Demontae Thompson, Student Representative
Perlita Varela, Student Representative
Asia Wheaton, Student Representative
Karina Winkler, Student Representative
Talar Alexanian, Associated Students Vice President*
*This position serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and is not eligible to vote.
Finance Committee Chair
Personnel Committee Chair
Facilities and Commercial Services Chair
If you would like more information about the BOD or are interested in applying for an open position, please provide your information below and we’ll be in touch soon.