Here’s your opportunity to join the students on the Board of Directors (BOD) of the University Student Union. You can make a real difference and do more to benefit all CSUN students and our campus while also building valuable skills for your future.
Board of Directors
USU Board of Directors
In the last few years, the USU Board of Directors (BOD) and its committees have renovated the USU, voted to increase funding for large-scale events such as Matador Nights, and launched the referendum to build the Student Recreation Center. Start doing more now, on your campus, with the BOD.
Are you interested in joining the USU BOD? There are three ways to get involved:
- Run for a seat on the BOD in the Spring Elections. Each spring, students run in the AS/USU elections for five of the ten student seats.
- Apply for an open seat on the BOD if there are any vacancies. Contact the BOD Assistant to find out about any current vacancies.
- Join a USU Board of Directors standing committee to learn about the USU and BOD while developing skills for the future. The standing committees include: the audit committee, the facilities and commercial services committee, the finance committee, and the personnel committee. Students who serve on committees and demonstrate leadership potential are always encouraged to run for a seat on the BOD.
Students who serve on the BOD or a committee must have a minimum cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA, and must have completed at least one semester at California State University, Northridge.
- The USU BOD will increase awareness about USU Programs and Services with the support from the staff.
- The USU BOD will increase their visibility and accountability.
- The USU BOD will assist in the completion of the USU’s Program Review.
- The USU BOD will assist in the assessment of the student body’s utilization of space for student programs and services, lounge and study space, conference and meeting space, and storage space and recommend how to meet current and future needs.
- The USU BOD will continue to assist in the development and design of the Wellness Center.
- The USU BOD will assist in the monitoring and updating of the Long Term Financial Plan.
- July 24, 2017
- Aug. 28, 2017
- Sept. 18, 2017
- Oct. 16, 2017
- Nov. 13, 2017
- Dec. 4, 2017
- Jan. 22, 2018
- Feb. 19, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- April 16, 2018
- May 7, 2018
- June 11, 2018
All meetings are held at 12:30 p.m. in the Grand Salon, USU
Other Important BOD Dates
- June 14–15, 2017: BOD Summer Retreat
Special Services Assignment, Board of Directors
Iris Ramirez, Chair
Michael Odinlo, Vice-Chair
Debra L. Hammond, Executive Secretary
Shelley Ruelas, University Representative
Sharon Eichten, University Representative
Tonee Sherrill, Alumni Representative
Shannon Ashford, Student Representative
Frankie Benkovic, Student Representative
Jazmin Hernandez, Student Representative
Habiba Naqvi, Student Representative
Amber Perkins, Student Representative
Donald “Avi” Stewart, Student Representative
Bhernard Tila, Student Representative
Jonathan Goldenberg, Associated Students President*
*This position serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and is not eligible to vote.
Finance Committee Chair
Personnel Committee Chair
Facilities and Commercial Services Chair
If you would like more information about the BOD or are interested in applying for an open position, please provide your information below and we’ll be in touch soon.