Start Living the Matador Life by making decisions to benefit the entire student body, building a network of professionals and promising students, enhancing your leadership skills, and learning how a multi-million dollar organization operates. You could be the one who brings new services to the USU and the change students want to see. An open seat is waiting for you.
Board of Directors
Apply for a Seat on the Board of Directors Today
USU Board of Directors
In the last few years, the USU Board of Directors (BOD) and its committees have renovated the USU, voted to increase funding for large-scale events such as Matador Nights, and launched the referendum to build the Student Recreation Center. Start doing more now, on your campus, with the BOD.
Are you interested in joining the USU BOD? There are three ways to get involved:
- Run for a seat on the BOD in the Spring Elections. Each spring, students run in the AS/USU elections for five of the ten student seats.
- Apply for an open seat on the BOD if there are any vacancies. Contact the BOD Graduate Assistant to find out about any current vacancies.
- Join a USU Board of Directors standing committee to learn about the USU and BOD while developing skills for the future. The standing committees include: the audit committee, the facilities and commercial services committee, the finance committee, and the personnel committee. Students who serve on committees and demonstrate leadership potential are always encouraged to run for a seat on the BOD.
Students who serve on the BOD or a committee must have a minimum cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA, and must have completed at least one semester at California State University, Northridge.
- The USU BOD will increase awareness about USU Programs and Services with the support from the staff.
- The USU BOD will increase their visibility and accountability.
- The USU BOD will assist in the completion of the USU’s Program Review.
- The USU BOD will assist in the assessment of the student body’s utilization of space for student programs and services, lounge and study space, conference and meeting space, and storage space and recommend how to meet current and future needs.
- The USU BOD will continue to assist in the development and design of the Wellness Center.
- The USU BOD will assist in the monitoring and updating of the Long Term Financial Plan.
- July 18, 2016
- Aug. 29, 2016
- Sept. 19, 2016
- Oct. 17, 2016
- Nov. 14, 2016
- Dec. 5, 2016
- Jan. 23, 2017
- Feb. 20, 2017
- March 13, 2017
- April 10, 2017
- May 8, 2017
- June 12, 2017
Meetings are held on Mondays in the Grand Salon, USU at 12:30 p.m.
*Aug. 29, Feb. 20 and March 13 meetings will be held in the Thousand Oaks Room, USU
Other Important BOD Dates
BOD Summer Retreat
June 28 – 29, 2016
Summer Student Summit
Aug. 23, 2016
Labor Day Holiday
Sept. 5, 2016
Fall Matador Nights
Sept. 16, 2016
ACUI Region I Conference (UC Berkeley)
Nov. 4–6, 2016
Veterans Day Holiday
Nov. 10, 2016
Thanksgiving Break Holiday
Nov. 24 – 25, 2016
Dec. 2, 2016
Fall Final Exams
Dec. 9 – 15, 2016
Dec. 23, 2016 – Jan. 3, 2017
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Jan. 16, 2017
Winter Student Summit
Jan. 17, 2017
March 20 – 26, 2017
ACUI Annual Conference (Philadelphia)
March 19 – 23, 2017
Cesar Chavez Day Holiday
March 31, 2017
Spring Matador Nights
April 21, 2017
May 5, 2017
Spring Final Exams
May 13 – 19, 2017
Memorial Day Holiday
May 29, 2017
June 5, 2017
June 12, 2017
Special Services Assignment, Board of Directors
Associate Director, Marketing and Programs
Thelmari Raubenheimer, Chair
Donald “Avi” Stewart, Vice-Chair
Debra L. Hammond, Executive Secretary
Shelley Ruelas, University Representative
Sharon Eichten, University Representative
Rowie Wolfe, Staff Representative
Tonee Sherrill, Alumni Representative
Shannon Ashford, Student Representative
Frank Benkovic, Student Representative
Farhad Khorasain, Student Representative
Hifza Murtuza, Student Representative
Michael Odinlo, Student Representative
Iris Ramirez, Student Representative
Maria Zaman, Student Representative
Sevag Alexanian, Associated Students President*
*This position serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and is not eligible to vote.
Finance Committee Chair
Personnel Committee Chair
Facilities and Commercial Services Chair
If you would like more information about the BOD or are interested in applying for an open position, please provide your information below and we’ll be in touch soon.