Start Living the Matador Life by making decisions to benefit the entire student body, building a network of professionals and promising students, enhancing your leadership skills, and learning how a multi-million dollar organization operates. You could be the one who brings new services to the USU and the change students want to see. An open seat is waiting for you.
Board of Directors
Apply for a Seat on the Board of Directors Today
USU Board of Directors
In the last few years, the USU Board of Directors (BOD) and its committees have renovated the USU, voted to increase funding for large-scale events such as Matador Nights, and launched the referendum to build the Student Recreation Center. Start doing more now, on your campus, with the BOD.
Are you interested in joining the USU BOD? There are three ways to get involved:
- Run for a seat on the BOD in the Spring Elections. Each spring, students run in the AS/USU elections for five of the ten student seats.
- Apply for an open seat on the BOD if there are any vacancies. Contact the BOD Graduate Assistant to find out about any current vacancies.
- Join a USU Board of Directors standing committee to learn about the USU and BOD while developing skills for the future. The standing committees include: the audit committee, the facilities and commercial services committee, the finance committee, and the personnel committee. Students who serve on committees and demonstrate leadership potential are always encouraged to run for a seat on the BOD. Applications can be submitted from Monday, Aug. 24 through Friday, Sept. 4.
Students who serve on the BOD or a committee must have a minimum cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA, and must have completed at least one semester at California State University, Northridge.
- The USU BOD will increase awareness about USU Programs and Services with the support from the staff.
- The USU BOD will increase their visibility and accountability.
- The USU BOD will assist in the completion of the USU’s Program Review.
- The USU BOD will assist in the assessment of the student body’s utilization of space for student programs and services, lounge and study space, conference and meeting space, and storage space and recommend how to meet current and future needs.
- The USU BOD will continue to assist in the development and design of the Wellness Center.
- The USU BOD will assist in the monitoring and updating of the Long Term Financial Plan.
- July 20, 2015
- August 24, 2015*
- September 21, 2015
- October 19, 2015*
- November 16, 2015
- December 7, 2015
- January 25, 2016
- February 22, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- April 11, 2016
- May 2, 2016
- June 13, 2016
Meetings are held on Mondays in the Grand Salon, USU at 12:30 p.m.
*Aug. 24 and Oct. 19 meetings will be held in the Thousand Oaks Room, USU
Other Important BOD Dates
Summer Student Summit
Aug. 18, 2015
Fall Matador Nights
Sept. 4, 2015
Sept. 7, 2015
ACUI Region I Conference (Las Vegas)
Oct. 15 – 17, 2015
Nov. 11, 2015
Nov. 26 – 27, 2015
Dec. 4, 2015
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Jan. 18, 2016
Winter Student Summit
Jan. 19, 2016
ACUI Annual Conference (New Orleans)
March 20 – 24, 2016
March 21 – 25, 2016
Cesar Chavez Day
March 31, 2016
Spring Matador Nights
April 22, 2016
April 29, 2016
Coordinator, Special Initiatives
Associate Director, Marketing and Programs
Shahtaj Khan, Chair
Samantha Simonds, Vice-Chair
Debra L. Hammond, Executive Secretary
Shelley Ruelas, University Representative
Sharon Eichten, University Representative
Rowie Wolfe, Staff Representative
Barbara Gross, Faculty Representative
Tonee Sherrill, Alumni Representative
Tirdad Bakhshandeh, Student Representative
Juaneeq Elliott, Student Representative
Asia Johnson, Student Representative
Usman Khan, Student Representative
Thelmari Raubenheimer, Student Representative
Karina Winkler, Student Representative
Sara Yousuf, Student Representative
Jorge Reyes, Associated Students President*
*This position serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and is not eligible to vote.
Finance Committee Chair
Personnel Committee Chair
Facilities and Commercial Services Chair
If you would like more information about the BOD or are interested in applying for an open position, please provide your information below and we’ll be in touch soon.