1. Q: Why do I have to pay additional fees on top of the fees we are already paying?
The University can no longer pay credit card merchant fees. The service fee allows us to continue offering the credit card payment option on the web. The new convenient web site provides students with additional credit card options and the option to pay by electronic check. The 2.75% service fee is charged by a vendor named CashNet, not the University. There is no service fee if you pay by electronic check.
2. Q: If I make a payment on SmartPay, will I get the 2.75% service fee back, if do not attend school this semester and receive a refund from CSUN?
No. The service fee is a non-refundable fee, regardless of the reason.
3. Q: Why did the University choose the SmartPay system?
This system provides additional credit card payment options, as well as being the easiest and most effective process; offering the widest range of payment choices for our students.
4. Q: Is this new system always available or is there a certain time of day I have to pay?
This system is available 24/7.
5. Q: How will the refund work if I pay with two different credit cards and who should I contact if I don't receive the refund?
We will refund the first credit card used, up to the maximum you charged on your account using that card. If there is an additional refund owed, that amount will be refunded to the second credit card. You will need to contact University Cash Services for refund questions.
6. Q: Is there a 2.75% fee per transaction? What happens if I pay with two credit cards?
The 2.75% service fee is based on the dollar amount spent. Therefore, even if you've used two credit cards, the total fees charged would be the same.
7. Q: Why can't I pay at the counter with a Credit Card?
Please refer to the answer in Question 1. The University can no longer absorb the merchant fees for credit card usage. Instead of eliminating the card payments altogether, the UCS front counter will continue to accept debit cards.
8. Q: How do I log into CashNet?
Using Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher:
- Log into the myNorthridge Portal with your CSUN User ID and Password.
- Select Financial Matters tab.
- Under the My Financial Obligations section, select Make a Payment.
You cannot access CashNet directly. If you have problems accessing your account, contact the Help Desk at (818) 677-1400.
9. Q: What if I don't have a computer at home to make the payment?
CSUN provides terminals in the lobby of Bayramian Hall for use by anyone who wishes to pay by credit card or electronic check, but there is no direct computer access. There are additional terminals at the Oviatt Library and the Sierra Center.
10. Q: Why did the University Student Union fee go up?
This was a referendum voted on and approved by student vote.
The Student Finance web site contains information authorized and available at the time of publication. Its content, including dates and fee amounts, is subject to change without prior notice or obligation.