Fall 2016 – First-Time Transfer Advising Checklist

First-Time Transfer Checklist Fall 2016
Welcome to California State University, Northridge

Download and print the First-Time Transfer Checklist-Fall 2016 (.pdf)

This transfer student checklist will guide you through the necessary steps to enroll successfully at Cal State Northridge. It’s an exciting time but it can be confusing. University policies and requirements may differ from those of your previous institution. This step-by-step advice should smooth your transition and help you avoid common pitfalls.

  1. The required course work that you need to transfer to CSUN (minimum of 60 units, including the 4 basic subjects with minimum grades of C and 2.0 GPA) must be completed by the end of the Spring 2016 term. No Summer 2016 course work will be considered. Make sure Admissions and Records receives your final, official transcripts as soon as your spring grades are posted. If you will transfer course work from a California community college, CSUN may be able to request your final transcript electronically. Learn more at eTranscript California. For updates on the final, official transcript deadline for transfer students, visit

  2. All admitted first-time transfer students must file their "Intent to Register" no later than 11:59 p.m. on July 1, 2016. (If admitted after June 17, file intent within 14 days of your admission date.) 

  3. Activate your CSUN Account. Follow the instructions at Information Technology Help Center. Use your User ID and Password to log into your CSUN issued Gmail account regularly to check for important University notices.

  4. Check your application status for missing items. Log into myNorthridge at, locate My Checklist, and review your Incomplete Tasks. Learn more at My Admissions Checklist.

  5. Prepare to register and remember important dates. Beginning in early-May, watch your mailbox for the Fall 2016 Registration Access Mailer. It contains your enrollment appointment as well as the earliest date and time you can go online to register in classes. 

You will receive a paper Registration Access Mailer for your first semester only. You can always visit the Registration Guide and Registration Calendar for registration news and dates. Your personal registration appointment and any holds also display in "My Checklist."

Beginning with your enrollment time, through July 10, 2016 you may enroll in classes online through “myNorthridge.” Beginning July 11, 2016 you may continue to register online; no appointment is required. For additional dates, see the Registration Calendar.

Enrollment is limited to 13 units during the Registration-by-Appointment period and will increase to 16 units beginning July 11, 2016. Verified STAR Act students are limited to 16 units during the Registration-by-Appointment period. You are encouraged to make every unit count by enrolling in courses required for your degree so you stay on track to graduation. The degree planning tools will help (see item #11).

Fall 2016 classes begin Monday, August 29, 2016.  Saturday-only and Friday-Saturday classes begin August 27.

  1. Review the University Catalog prior to meeting with an academic advisor. The Catalog describes every major, all courses CSUN offers, and provides vital information about academic policies and university regulations.

  2. Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Students who seek advisement before registering are more likely to enroll in the courses they need and avoid errors that can cost time and money. Meeting with an academic advisor is the best strategy for a timely graduation.  

Contact your major department to make an appointment with your academic advisor. In some of CSUN’s eight academic colleges, transfer students are advised by the Student Services Center/EOP Satellite. Remember, University policies and deadlines will differ from those of your previous institution; your advisor will help with the transition. 

Academic advisement is strongly encouraged for all transfer students; some majors require it. If your major requires advisement before registration, you will have an advisement hold. The hold will be cleared only when you meet with your advisor. To view registration holds, log into “myNorthridge” with your CSUN User ID and Password, locate My Checklist and review the Incomplete Tasks section.  

  1. Be on time for your advisement appointment. Purchase a one-day campus parking permit for $6.00. Partial-day parking permits are available for a small fee in lots F5, G3 and G4. Arrive on campus early to locate your major department. Download a campus map, including driving directions, or download the CSUN Mobile App to help you find your destination. While on campus, you may also want to visit Financial Aid and Scholarships, Housing, the Oviatt Library, or other campus resources that you can locate from the CSUN home page.

  2. Check out special General Education (GE) classes just for new transfers. Cal State Northridge offers special sections of select upper division GE classes that combine subject matter content with information about university resources, culture and requirements. The reserved classes are also a great place to make friends and get oriented to your new university. Enrollment is based on availability and you may view the offerings here.
  3. Find out if you need a department exam. The Math Placement Test (MPT) and/or Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) may be required for students planning to major in Engineering, Computer Sciences, Sciences or Math.

  4. Bring your unofficial transcripts for all courses taken at a community college or another four-year university to your advisement meeting. REMINDER: Send Admissions and Records your final, official transcripts as soon as your spring 2016 course grades are posted, but before the transcript deadline posted at

    Use the audit component of Degree Progress Report (DPR) and Planner to check the placement of your transfer courses into CSUN major and degree requirement sections. Your advisor can assist you with learning how to use this and other degree planning tools. See the Degree Progress Report and Planner How to Guide and video to familiarize yourself with this tool in advance of your advising session. 

If your transcripts have not yet been evaluated, your transfer courses will not yet display in DPR and Planner. You may visit to find California community college and CSUN course equivalents. Bring a list of these courses with you to your advising appointment.

  1. Prepare questions and a tentative class schedule to review with your advisor. Review the Degree Road Map for your major at for the suggested sequence of classes. STAR Act (AA-T and AS-T) Transfer Degree Road Maps are also available at Use Class Search and Registration Planner to look up the courses you want. Prepare a tentative schedule with alternate choices before your advising session.  

For help navigating Class Search, Registration Planner, “myNorthridge” and the SOLAR Student Center, see the How To Guides. For registration dates, visit the Registration Calendar.

  1. Register for classes. As a transfer student, you may register for classes independently beginning with the date provided in your Registration Access Mailer and in My Checklist if your holds are resolved. Registering on your set date will give you the best selection of classes and times. However, your access to the online registration system continues from your priority date through September 16, 2016. Students may wait list for closed classes beginning with Nonrestrictive Registration on Monday, July 11, 2016 through Monday, September 5, 2016. During the wait list period, no permission numbers are required to add classes (except restricted classes). Permission numbers are required to add classes during the second and third weeks of instruction, beginning Tuesday, September 6, 2016. The last day to add or drop classes online is Friday, September 16.

  2. Pay your tuition and other fees on time. Payment is due when you register in classes, but no later than the deadlines published in the Fee Payment Schedule. Due dates vary by registration date. If you do not pay on time, you will be disenrolled from courses. Get details on tuition and fees, payment due dates, installment plans and more at University Cash Services. If you are a financial aid recipient, see the anticipated aid tutorial.

Note: It is the sole responsibility of the student to withdraw from classes. Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees, the assignment of failing grades, and the need to reapply for admission to the University.

  1. For important updates and University notices, log into “myNorthridge” with your CSUN User ID and Password. Regularly check your CSUN Gmail, too, by logging into CSUN Gmail is an official means of University communication.

  2. Be sure to meet the CSU immunization requirement for measles, rubella and hepatitis B. If you attended a California public middle or high school, you have probably met the requirement.

If not, complete these immunizations as soon as possible, but no later than these semesters:

  • During your first semester of classes for the measles and rubella immunization requirement, and

  • During your second semester for the hepatitis B requirement

For more information, including the consequences of non-compliance and other immunization considerations, see the Klotz Student Health Center website Immunization Requirements.

  1. Sign up for the New Transfer Student Orientation to learn about the University, receive useful information, and meet other transfer students. Call 818-677-4100 or go to to register.  

  2. Register for the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) at the beginning of your first semester at CSUN. Undergraduate students are encouraged to take the UDWPE as early as possible, but must take the exam no later than the semester in which 75 units will be completed, including transfer course work. Transfer students entering the University who will have completed 75 units by the end of their first semester must attempt the exam during their first semester at CSUN. Students who have not attempted the UDWPE by the completion of 75 units will have a hold placed on their subsequent class registration. Some upper division major courses require a passing score on the UDWPE before you can enroll, so plan ahead and avoid enrollment delays. Information on the exam including registration details is located at

Best wishes for your first semester at CSUN!