"This is a good program that really enhances public speaking skills and provides techniques to improve speech delivery and organization. Communication for Youth will also help improve your performance at school as well."
Sankirth Vutukuri, 11th Grade, Aspiring Engineer
"Communication for Youth has got me over the fear of public speaking and I learned how to deliver a range of speeches without a problem!"
Riley Wolfe, 11th Grade, Aspiring Medical Doctor
"I participated in this program for eight years and it was the most amazing experience. Communication for Youth helped me get through some of my life's toughest moments and I made friends I will never forget."
Amber Pena, CSUN Undergraduate, Chicano Studies Major
The Communication for Youth program is a community outreach, service-learning course that enables graduate and undergraduate students to offer public speaking training to students in grades 5 through 12. Graduates and undergraduates receive coaching in:
- Public Speaking
- Course Development
- Lesson Planning
- Effective Teaching Practices
- Assessing Student Learning
- Peer Evaluations
Instruction is provided through a combination of discussion, lecture, activities, and workshop formats.
Lifelong Learning: Learn in innovative ways as you engage and network with youth from across Los Angeles County and CSUN’s local community.
- Stellar Guidance: Support every step of the way. Faculty and graduate students will guide you as you learn and serve the community.
- Campus Involvement: Enhance your leadership skills as you connect with the CSUN community and gain PR experience.
- Life Changing: Have a direct influence on our future leaders in practical and long-lasting ways.
The class meets for twelve weeks on Saturdays from 9:00 am to 11:45 am.
Communication for Youth invites students who have successfully completed COMS 151 (or equivalent) to enroll in COMS 437.
For more information, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Youth Participants and Their Families
We invite youth in grades 5 through 12 to apply to join the Communication for Youth program. Youth will receive public speaking training from CSUN graduate and undergraduate students. Topics covered include: speech anxiety, vocal variety, listening, ethics and credibility, informative speaking, and more. Participants will have the opportunity to deliver four formal speeches, participate in a campus tour, and be recognized during our culminating awards ceremony.
- Overcome the fear of public speaking
- Improve speaking & listening skills
- Participate effectively in a range of conversations
- Study on a college campus and get a glimpse of University life
- Collaborate and share ideas with youth from other schools and backgrounds
- Enhance leadership skills
- Learn new ways to express yourself
How to Apply
The six week program is offered semi annually in the spring and fall semesters. Please complete and submit the application during the enrollment period. The CYI Team will contact you to confirm enrollment. Only when enrollment is confirmed will you receive information regarding class location and session information. No new registrations will be accepted on the first day of class.
Please direct all questions to email@example.com