The Undergraduate Major in Communication Studies provides:
- Inquiry into the complexity and diversity of communication contexts, processes, issues and effects in today’s global world.
- Humanistic, aesthetic and social scientific investigation of the problems people face when they use language and other symbolic systems to work with and influence others.
- Instruction in the communication skills and knowledge people need to function effectively in a variety of professional and social contexts at both the domestic and international levels.
Undergraduate Program Learning Outcomes
Students receiving a degree from the Communication Studies Department will be able to:
- Explain key concepts in Communication Studies
- Use communication theory to explain communication phenomena
- Apply key methods in Communication Studies
- Analyze the relationship between communication and culture
- Develop communication strategies for civic engagement