Update Your Router
Almost every hardware device has software embedded. It is important to keep your devices up to date with the latest software update. These updates usually bring new features and security fixes. To update your router, you will need to access it by IP address. To do this, you can look in the router instruction manual for the username, password and IP address. If the IP address is not present in the manual, you will need to get it from you computer. Here are the steps to get the IP address:
For a Windows Computer:
- Press the Windows key + X to open a control menu and select Network Connections.
- The Network and Internet window will appear. Select View your network properties.
- Scroll until you come across Name: Wi-Fi.
- Locate the Default Gateway and take note of the IP Address.
For a Mac Computer:
- Select the Apple Symbol at the top of the screen, and then select System Preferences.
- Select the Network icon to open networking preferences.
- Select the Wi-Fi preference.
- Select the "Advanced..." button to display the Wi-Fi preferences.
- Select the TCP/IP tab and the Router IP address will be displayed. Take note of the IP address.
After gathering all the information, you can use it to log into your router and update its firmware. To do so please follow the steps below:
- It is recommended that you connect to your router with an ethernet cable but it is not mandatory.
- Open your a browser of choice and paste/type the IP address of your router in the URL window.
- Enter the username and password when asked for it.
- Once you have logged in, locate the Firmware or Router Upgrade option. The location of this can vary between router models, so make sure you have the manual available.
- After locating the upgrade option, you will see the version of your firmware and what day it was released.
- Most routers will give you the option to update the router from this screen and if so, proceed with the update. Unless it needs for you to provide the update package.
- If your router does not provide this option to update, you will need to navigate to your router's manufacturer website support section.
- Locate your router model in the support section and download the latest update package.
- Follow the manual instructions to upload the latest update package and stat the upgrade process.
- Be sure to give the update enough time to complete, as an interruption in the process can cause damage to your router.
What happens if it Fails?
Not all updates will go smoothly and some will fail. In that case you have to reset your router. To do this search for the Factory Defaults and then select the restore button. Wait for your router to update.
Please note that some routers update by themselves, so you don’t have to manually update them.