Zoom, CSUN’s video and web conferencing tool, is available to all students, faculty, and staff. Zoom allows for video, audio, and screen sharing between up to 200 participants. It can be used from any computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, and it works on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. Any CSUN user can initiate a video or audio meeting, allowing Zoom to be used for any online meeting, whether between two or many people.
Zoom Video and Web Conferencing
How do I get started with Zoom?
To learn how to get started with Zoom, visit: csun.edu/it/zoom. Videos highlighting the features are available on this site. For more questions on Zoom, contact the Faculty Technology Center at:firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also, download Zoom for your computer or mobile device, or select “Host a Meeting” above. Use the app or webpage to start, join, or schedule meetings.
System Requirements for PC and Mac
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Supported Operating Systems
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.6.8 /(Snow Leopard) or later
- Windows 10
- Windows 8 or 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
Supported Tablet and Mobile Devices
- Windows: IE7+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari5+, Opera12+
- Mac: Safari5+, Firefox, Chrome
Processor and RAM RequirementsMinimumRecomended Processor Single Core 1Ghz or Higher Dual Core 2Ghz or Higher (i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent) RAM N/A 4Gb
High DPI Support
- High DPI displays are support in Zoom version 3.5 or higher
The bandwidth used by Zoom will be optimized for the best experience based on the participants’ network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, WiFi or Wired environments.
- For 1:1 video calling: 600kbps (up/down) for HQ video and 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for HD video
- For group video calling: 600kbps/1.2Mbps (up/down) for HQ video. For gallery view: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down).
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 50-75kbps
- For screen sharing with video thumbnail: 50-150kbps
- For audio VoiP: 60-80kbps
HD Camera Suggestions
- Logitech PTZ Pro
- Aver VC520
- Logitech ConferenceCam CC3300e
- Logitech HD Webcams
- VDO360 PTZ HD Camera
- VTEL HD3000PTZ Camera
- Vaddio Clearview USB
- Microsoft HD Webcams
- Hovercam Solo 5 Document and Webcam
USB Speakerphone and Microphone
- Revolabs UC500
- Jabra Speak 510
- Clearone Chat 150
- Logitech P710e
- Plantronics Calisto 600
- Voice Tracker Array Microphones
- Yamaha PSP-20UR
- Yamaha YVC-100
- Jabra USB Headphones
- Plantronics Headsets
- Revolab Fusion Wireless Microphones
- Shure Wireless Conferencing System
- MXL Microphones for Conferencing
Note: Devices support vary with systems. Please test them first.
- Magewell HDMI capture (PC or Win)
- Startech Composite/SVideo to USB (Win)
- Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme (Mac)
- Blackmagic Design Mini Recorder (Mac)
What if I need a more robust room?
Zoom Room will be available in the Garden level of the Oviatt Library for those who need more robust Video Conferencing needs.This facility is able to connect to other rooms around the world via H323/SIP standards.
What about using Elluminate/Collaborate?
Zoom replaced Elluminate/Collaborate in the summer of 2016. Elluminate/Collaborate has been decommissioned.
Can Closed Captions be added to Zoom videos?
Adding Closed Captions to your Zoom meetings is easy with CaptionSync. Zoom offers two options for recording meetings - Local Recording and Cloud Recording; you can use either option to record meetings that you wish to later have captioned. This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions on how to submit Zoom recorded meetings for captioning.
View the full CaptionSync tutorial.
Where can I get training for Zoom?
The Zoom Help Center offers an extensive library of resources for all users. We have compiled some of the top videos to get started. The videos are on the right-hand side under Top Videos to Get Started.