The Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist (RLLS) Credential authorizes the holder to perform the following duties at the school site, district, and county levels in grades twelve and below, including preschool, and in classes organized primarily for adults:
- Provide direct reading intervention to students and adapt instructional routines and strategies to provide direct specialized reading instruction to students with severe reading difficulties, including monitoring and adjusting intervention instruction;
Coordinate adoption and facilitate implementation of adopted literacy curricula, including providing training to teachers;
Select and administer reading and literacy assessments, interpret results to determine student growth and identification of struggling students, select interventions, communicate results, and provide guidance an coaching to teachers;
Design, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive literacy plan;
Support students’ literacy development and inform and train teachers in literacy skills using information and communication technologies; and
Evaluate literacy practices and report findings, guide teachers and administrators in collaborative efforts to design, implement, and evaluate local, state and/or federal programs, and plan and conduct staff development.
1. Admission to the Master's Degree Program: Candidate must be admitted to the Masters of Arts in the Language and Literacy Option (Elementary Education). Please consult this department for details. To apply to the university, please fill out the online application at Cal State Apply. We have recently upgraded our online university application to the Cal State Apply system. This upgrade is still in progress and so some of our academic programs may not be immediately visible. If you are having difficulty with Cal State Apply, you can seek help via:
- The Application Help Center, including Live Chat Support
- The application support line at 857-304-2087 or CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com
- The Frequently Asked Questions Page
- Credential Applicant Guide to the Cal State Apply Application for Fall 2019.
2. Online Program Application along with nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
3. Transcripts – Official transcripts documenting a baccalaureate degree and all post-baccalaureate work must be submitted in person or by mail to the Credential Office at:
IMPORTANT! Do not mail in transcripts until you have submitted your online application. You should request all transcripts sent directly to your home address, once you have gathered all transcripts you may submit them. Official transcripts from each institution you have attended (including community colleges) must be submitted to Admission and Records. Your Bachelor's degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
4. Valid Credential - Upload a copy of your valid California Multiple Subject or Single Subject credential. Must have English Learner Authorization.
5. Verification of Experience - *One year of successful teaching experience in any grade, preschool through adult. Acceptable experience does not include student teaching, internship-teaching, substitute teaching or teaching while holding an emergency credential. Verification of experience must be on the district or employing agency letterhead and signed by the superintendent, assistant superintendent, director of personnel, or director of human resources.
*By conclusion of the program, three years of full-time teaching experience will be required.
Additional Program Requirements
- GPA – 3.0 with no grades lower than “C”
- Exit Portfolio (for additional information contact Academic Advisor)
- Three years of full-time teaching experience upon completion of program
Contact Information and Advisement
For questions regarding the program application process, please contact the Credential Office at (818) 677-2733 or email@example.com.
Academic advisement is conducted by the Elementary Education department (818) 677-2621
Program Completion Process
Information regarding how to apply for the Reading Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential can be found on our website.
IMPORTANT! Before beginning the online application, make sure you are not logged into the CSUN portal. All required documents must be uploaded with your online application do not mail or fax any documents. The only item that should be mailed are transcripts, if applicable.