This is a tutorial only. No login is required.
Your student records are confidential and protected by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The university cannot release your student record and financial account information to your parent, guardian, sponsor or other third party without your prior formal consent.
By completing the electronic “Authorization to Release” form through myNorthridge Portal, you can designate one or more trusted persons—your third-party designee(s)—to receive information about your CSUN record when they contact the University.
Good to Know:
- Only you, the student, can legally complete this authorization.
- Your authorization is effective starting with the date you execute it.
- You may revoke authorization for a third party at any time.
- You can authorize specific CSUN offices to share your information with third-party designee(s). Authorizing one office to release records does not authorize the other offices.
Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Select the myNorthridge Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
The myNorthridge "Home" page displays. (For new students, the portal defaults to the "Applicant" tab.)
In the Quick Links box, select the SOLAR Student Center icon.
The SOLAR Student Center home page displays.
Under the “Personal Information” section, select the Authorize to Release link.
The “Create an Authorization to Release” page and web form display. Read the three boxes above the form carefully. They explain:
- That the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects your student records
- The CSUN offices you can authorize to release your record to third-party designee(s)
- Instructions to complete the web form
- The authorization form itself
Let’s look at these boxes more closely.
Box 1 introduces FERPA. Read more at Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records.
Box 2 lists the CSUN offices you can authorize to release your education records and student financial information. These offices and examples of the types of information they can release are:
- Admissions (Office of Admissions and Records) – application status, eligibility index score, placement information, transcripts or test score status (received or missing), etc.
- Academic Records (Office of Admissions and Records, and Academic Advising Programs, but excludes the Vice President for Student Affairs Office) – grades, enrollment, progress toward degree, academic standing, advising notes, etc.
- Student Financial Services (Offices of Student Accounting and University Cash Services) – information related to charges and payments posted on your student account, financial aid disbursements, and enrollment status as it affects your financial obligations to the University.
NOTE: Granting authorization to one office does not grant authorization to the other offices.
Box 3 explains how to complete the “Authorization to Release” web form.
IMPORTANT! By providing your electronic signature on the Authorization to Release form, you authorize the CSUN offices you select to release your student records and/or financial account information to the person(s) you designate. Only you, the student, can legally complete this authorization.
To add or modify a third-party designee to receive your student information:
- Enter your third-party designee’s first and last name.
- Create a 4-digit access code for the third-party designee. Share the code with this person ONLY!
- Select the CSUN office(s) from which you authorize your designee to receive information.
- Modify a third-party designee’s access by marking/unmarking the checkboxes. You cannot delete a designee, but you can remove all access by unchecking all boxes.
- To add another third-party designee, click the plus sign (+) button.
To cancel your entries and return to the Student Center, click the Cancel button.
If you are happy with your selections, click the Save button to record your changes.
Before we can release your student information to your third-party designee(s), they will need to:
- Identify themselves
- Provide your student name and 9-digit student ID number
- Provide their access code
Do not share this information with anyone other than your authorized designee!
To WITHDRAW an authorization at any time, return to this page and uncheck the applicable boxes.
That’s it, except…
- To return to the Student Center, use the drop-down menu in the lower right corner, select Student Center and click the Go button.
- To return to myNorthridge Portal, select “Back to Portal” in the upper right corner.
- Be sure to LOG OUT of the portal.