Update on UCS Services: 8/30/2021
University Counseling Services (UCS) office is physically open during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm) and is available for appointment scheduling and crisis/urgent care walk-in’s. We are located in Bayramian Hall, 5th floor, Room 520.
For the Fall 2021 semester, UCS will continue to provide initial evaluations, individual therapy, couples therapy, groups and workshops, crisis/urgent care services, psychiatry services, case management, and Let’s Talk services, virtually through telemental health (phone, HIPAA-compliant Zoom video).
If you need a private space to utilize for your telemental health appointment, we have a number of private spaces available in our office that students can reserve for that purpose.
If you would like to schedule a new or returning appointment, please contact us at (818) 677-2366, option 1, to schedule an appointment.
If you are in crisis and need to speak to a counselor immediately,
24/7 crisis/urgent care services are always available by phone:
Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm, please call (818) 677-2366, option 1.
*All other days/times, please call (818) 677-2366, option 3*
University Counseling Services (UCS) is committed to supporting student mental health, well-being, and academic success. We are here for you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out for support!
We recognize that it is normal to experience a range of reactions (e.g., stress, worry, sadness, fear, uncertainty, etc.) during these challenging times. We encourage you to be kind to yourself and engage in self-care:
- Take care of your body and physical wellness (e.g., establish a regular sleep schedule, eat mindfully, engage in physical activity you enjoy, etc.)
- Take care of your mind and emotional wellness (e.g., deep breathing, meditation, mindfulness, journaling, positive affirmations, engage in an enjoyable activity, self-reflection, gratitude, etc.)
- Maintain social, spiritual and cultural connections (e.g., family members, friends, partners, spiritual/religious leaders, practices, traditions, etc.) through alternate methods such as phone calls, texts, and social media
- Create structure and develop routines (e.g., dedicate time each day to study, to get organized, plan ahead, walk your dog, etc.)
- Take a break from the news and social media
- Focus on what you have control over (e.g., your daily routine, practicing self-care, limiting your social media, your kindness and grace, etc.)
- Utilize coping skills (e.g., listen to music, herbal tea, pray, read a book, journal, do a puzzle, yoga, engage with a pet, try a mental health app, etc.)
- Reach out for help/access support services and resources
UCS has developed an accordion of resources for students on mental health services and resources during COVID-19. These include resources on managing stress and anxiety during COVID-19; crisis and emergency resources, including 24/7 crisis hotlines; mental health apps; community mental health resources; and local hospital information. They can be found on our Mental Health Services and Resources for Students During COVID-19 page. We have also developed racial injustice and ally resources (e.g. websites, articles, books, videos, podcasts, etc.), which can be found in our Self-Help Library.
We have additional resources and support available to students. Please visit our Self-Help library for information and resources on a range of topics, and our Videos, Blogs, and Presentations page which includes video recorded presentations and five (5) different mindfulness exercises. In addition, UCS has an outreach program called Let’s Talk, which provides students with easy access to informal consultations with our counselors. Counselors are providing virtual drop-in consultation hours at various days/times throughout the week. Students can meet for a consultation on a first-come, first-serve basis via Zoom Health; no appointment is needed. A Let’s Talk counselor is available to listen, offer support, and provide resources and problem-solving tools. To learn more about Let’s Talk and identify the days and times this service is offered, please visit our Let's Talk page.