Through the Distinguished Alumni Awards recognition program and gala, The University annually recognizes CSUN alumni who have achieved a high level of success in their chosen fields of endeavor, thus bringing distinction to themselves and to their alma mater. The Distinguished Alumni Awards gala is presented and sponsored on behalf of the university by the CSUN Alumni Association.
Any alumnus, university volunteer, faculty, staff or emeriti faculty/staff member may nominate individuals for the award. Applications may be submitted to the Office of Alumni Relations in person, by mail, or email.
CRITERIA FOR AWARDS
- An individual must have attended CSUN or SFVSC and earned the equivalent of 24 units, with preference toward degreed graduates.
- The candidate shall have reached and remained at the pinnacle of his or her professional field or have been acknowledged by many as a humanitarian, philanthropist or leader of cause.
- The candidate shall exhibit a high degree of character & integrity.
- A candidate has been involved in or philanthropically supportive of the university.
- A candidate agrees to attend and support the gala event.
The selection committee shall be a public committee of six members. The committee is comprised of Alumni Association volunteer leaders and representatives of the campus administration, faculty, staff and students. The selection committee shall be responsible for reviewing, ranking and selecting the finalists from eligible candidates and making a recommendation to the university president. The nomination committee shall consist of:
- The President of the Alumni Association (Chair)
- Two members selected by the Alumni Association Board of Directors
- The Assistant Vice President for Alumni Relations
- The Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee
- The Associate Vice President for Development
- A University Dean or faculty representative
- A CSUN student representative
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The nominations will be collected by the Office of Alumni Relations, compiled and forwarded to the selection committee following the nomination deadline. The committee shall select three finalists and 2-3 alternates if any finalists cannot attend or decline to accept. The finalists and alternates are forwarded as recommendations to the university president for endorsement and approval. The honorees will be contacted by CSUN in January. All candidates not selected in the current year or applications received after the submission deadline shall remain as active nominations for a total of three years period to be considered for selection in succeeding years. Candidates may be re-nominated.