Sustainability is “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (Brundtland Report, 1987).
The mission of the Institute is to promote, facilitate, and develop educational, research, and university and community programs related to sustainability. The Institute serves as an umbrella organization across all the colleges of the university on issues related to sustainability and is committed to serving our campus community by increasing interdisciplinary and cross-functional communication, and supporting and aiding in the development and application of sustainability practices within the university and community.
Consistent with the mission and vision of the university, the purposes of the Institute are to:
- Promote and support curriculum development and curriculum innovation related to sustainability;
- Promote and support the educational and professional growth and development of faculty, students, staff and the community in the field of sustainability and serve as an educational resource for them;
- Support the pursuit of scholarly projects, creative activities, and research in the field of sustainability;
- Promote and support community-based projects and initiatives in the field of sustainability;
- Serve as the umbrella organization for university activities focused on sustainability and increase interdisciplinary and cross-functional communication to improve collaboration in this area.
- Serve as a resource and consultant to the university administration to facilitate campus improvements and obtain funding in areas related to sustainability.
- Support and aid in the application of sustainability practices in university operations and in coordinating sustainability efforts across campus to reduce resource use.
- Work with the faculty to seek and obtain funding from private and public agencies in support of sustainability-related projects.
- Support and aid in university planning in sustainability.
- Aid in the collection, analysis and reporting of data related to sustainability including resource use, energy use, carbon emissions, and waste.
- Aid in the development of a Climate Action Plan for the university and participate in coordination and monitoring of related activities.
- Aid in reporting and liaison activities associated with the university’s pledge through the American College and University Presidents’ Commitment on Climate Change (ACUPCC).
Institute for Sustainability Organizational Chart
For more information about the history of sustainability at CSUN, please read the CSUN Sustainability Plan