The Department of Philosophy has adopted the following program goals for the Philosophy Major:
- Students will develop a critical understanding of the work of central thinkers in the Western philosophical tradition.
- Students will read and comprehend philosophical texts.
- Students will respond critically and analytically to philosophical positions, arguments, and methodologies, including positions, arguments, and methodologies involved in the investigation of significant issues in epistemology, metaphysics and value theory.
- Students will defend their own philosophical positions and arguments.
- Students will write well-organized philosophical essays in which they clearly and effectively present and defend their own philosophical positions and arguments.
- Students will apply the basic concepts essential to a critical examination and evaluation of argumentative discourse, where this includes learning how to determine whether an argument is valid and whether it is sound.