Sede Vacante 1644
July 29, 1644—September 15, 1644
Documents concerning the Election of 1644
- Memorial of Fr. Valentino, SJ, on the election of a pope
- Cardinal de Lugo, SJ, on the exclusiva
- Cardinal Albizzi on the exclusiva
- Siri, Del Mercurio, overo Historia de' correnti tempi, on the Conclave activity
- Letter of Cardinal Mazarin to Cardinal Fra Antonio Barberini, consoling him and commissioning him in the French interest (August 11, 1644)
- Letter of Ambassador Melchior Mites, Comte de Saint-Chamont, to Cardinal Antonio Barberini, and Barberini's reply [excerpt] (August 25 and 26, 1644).
- French Ambassador to Barberini, against the selection of Pamphili, with a warning of royal displeasure (August 27, 1644).
- The French Ambassador, Saint-Chamont, to Cardinal Antonio Barberini, and Barberini's reply (September 4, 1644).
- French Ambassador to Cardinal Barberini, threatening him with French disfavor and disgrace (September 5, 1644)
- Cardinal Barberini to the French Ambassador, protesting against two exclusions and promising to explain directly to the King after the Conclave (September 9, 1644).
- French Ambassador to Barberini, asking for an end to campaigning for Cardinal Maculano, and suggesting Cardinal Altieri (September 10, 1644).
- Open Letter of King Louis XIV to the Marquis de Saint-Chamont in Rome (October 4, 1644).
- Cardinal Mazarin to Pope Innocent X, congratulating him on his Election (October 15, 1644).
- Letter of the Marquis de Saint-Chamont to Cardinal Antonio Barberini, revoking his status as Protector of France and his right to display the French royal arms (October 26, 1644).
- Cardinal Mazarin to his brother, Fr. Michele Mazzarino, in Rome, on the matter of the Barberini. (November 25, 1644).
- Instructions for the Sieur de de Grémonville, appointed Ambassador to Venice, but also temporary agent to the Court of Rome (December 16, 1644).
April 29, 2014 10:56 AM