Welcome to Geography
The Department of Geography at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is one of the largest in the nation. During the last forty years, its faculty and students have compiled an enviable record of academic achievement and public service. Because of the size and quality of its faculty, the department can offer prospective students an unusually large array of intellectual opportunities that far exceed those offered by most other institutions. The Department of Geography offers two B.A. major options: Major in Geography - Standard Program, and Major in Geography – Geographical Information Science (GIS). The Department also offers a Minor in Geographic Information Science (GIS). The geography standard program prepares students to understand the environment around us and interpret the patterns found across the Earth’s surface. Comprised of 43 units, the major allows flexibility in course selection while providing a solid background in human, physical and regional aspects of the discipline. The geography major option in GIS focuses on the use of geocomputation and digital technology to assess spatial and environmental problems and provide solutions. The major features a strong technical component based on applications of GIS, digital cartography and remote sensing, along with training in geographical, spatial analysis, and data visualization.
The Department of Geography offers two options within its Master of Arts degree program: M.A. in Geography - The Standard Program provides the student with a high degree of flexibility in the selection of courses used to meet the program requirements. M.A. in Geography - Geographical Information Science offers a highly structured specialization in Geographic Information Science, where most of the requirements are met with graduate courses dealing with various aspects of GIS. This option is designed for students wishing to pursue a career in this highly technological subfield of geography.
Academic Student Employee Position Opening, Teaching Associate, Spring 2014
- Temporary Teaching Associate Position Application, Spring 2014
- A Special Presentation by Tom Loo CSUN Geography Alumnus on Friday October 25th @ 11:00 am Sierra Hall Room 120
- Assistant Professor, Tenure Track job announcement
- Scholarships are now open and applications are available by accessing links on the Scholarships page. You can also pick up applications in the geography department office. The deadline to submit applications is Monday, May 6, 2013 by 4 P.M.
- IMPORTANT: University Admissions has set a July 20, 2012 deadline for all graduate applications. This applies to the online Mentor application only. Supplemental materials required by the Geography Department can be sent at a later date. If you have any questions regarding your application to the Geography Department Master's Program please contact our graduate advisor: Dr. James Craine