B.A., Columbia University, 1992
Ph.D., Harvard University, 1998
California Institute of Technology, 1999-2001
Chemistry 102, General Chemistry II
Chemistry 333, Principles of Organic Chemistry I
Chemistry 334, Principles of Organic Chemistry II
Chemistry 531, Survey of Organic Reactions
Chemistry 534, Advanced Organic Chemistry
Research in the Minehan laboratory is focused primarily in two areas: development of synthetic methodology directed toward the preparation of biologically-active natural products, and the development of environmentally-friendly reactions for organic synthesis. We have recently discovered that organoindium compounds serve as efficient reagents for carbon-carbon bond-formation (both in the presence and absence of transition-metal catalysts), even in protic solvents. We would like to further investigate the reactivity of the organometallic intermediates generated upon single-electron transfer from indium species to organic substrates in aqueous media. Furthermore, we have embarked on a detailed study of the reactivity of 1-alkynyl ethers and their utility for forming multiple carbon-carbon bonds in a single synthetic operation. It is hoped that these studies will lead to new and efficient cyclopentannulation strategies. Finally, using the above methodologies, we are developing a practical approach to the terpenoid natural products Dactylol and Xerantholide through investigation of model studies on formation of fused 7-5 and 8-5 carbocyclic ring systems.
- "A single-flask synthesis of α-alkylidene and α-benzylidene lactones from ethoxyacetylene, epoxides/oxetanes, and carbonyl compounds" Ng, K.; Tran, V.; Minehan, T. Tetrahedron Letters (2016), 57, 415-419.
- “Synthesis and DNA binding profile of N-mono- and N,N'-disubstituted indolo[3,2-b]carbazoles” Panesar, H.; Solano, J.; Minehan, T.G. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry (2015), 13, 2879-2883.
- "Total synthesis of polycarcin V and evaluation of its DNA-binding profile” Cai, X.; Ng, K.; Panesar, H.; Moon, S.-J.; Paredes, M.; Ishida, K.; Hertweck, C.; Minehan, T.G. Org. Lett. (2014), 16, 2962–2965.
- “Synthesis of 3,3’-di-O-methyl ardimerin and exploration of its DNA binding properties” Mavlan, M.; Panesar, H.; Yepremyan, A.; Minehan T.G. Org. Lett. (2014), 16, 2212-2215.
- "Low-Temperature n-Butyllithium-Induced [3,3]-Sigmatropic Rearrangement/ Electrophile Trapping Reactions of Allyl-1,1-Dichlorovinyl Ethers. Synthesis of beta-, gamma- and delta-lactones" Christopher, A.; Brandes, D.; Kelly, S.; Minehan, T.G. Org. Biomol. Chem. (2013), 11, 7658-7661.
- "Anti-Peroxyl Radical Quality and Antibacterial Properties of Rooibos Infusions and Their Pure Glycosylated Polyphenolic Constituents" Simpson, M.J.; Hjelmqvist, D.; Karamehmedovic, N.; Minehan, T.G.; Yepremyan, A.; Salehani, B.; Lissi, E.; Joubert, E. Udekwu, K.I.; Alarcon, E.I. Molecules (2013), 18, 11264-11280.
- "Lewis-acid catalyzed intramolecular condensation of ynol ether-acetals. Synthesis of alkoxycycloalkene carboxylates" Tran, V.; Minehan, T.G. Org. Lett. (2012), 14, 6100-6103.
- "Total Synthesis of Indole-3-acetonitrile-4-methoxy-2-C-beta-D-gluco-pyranoside. Proposal for structural revision of the natural product" Yepremyan, A.; Minehan, T.G. Org. Biomol. Chem. (2012), 10, 5194-5196.
- "Intramolecular [2 + 2] Cycloaddition Reactions of Alkynyl Ether Derived Ketenes. A Convenient Synthesis of Donor–Acceptor Cyclobutanes" Tran, V.; Minehan, T.G. Organic Letters (2011), 13, 6588-6591.
- "[3,3]-Sigmatropic Rearrangement/5-Exo-Dig Cyclization Reactions of Benzyl Alkynyl Ethers: Synthesis of Substituted 2-Indanones and Indenes" Tudjarian, A.A.; Minehan, T.G. J. Org. Chem. (2011), 76, 3576-3581.
- "Indium-Mediated Allylation of Aldehydes, Ketones, and Sulfonimines with 2-(Alkoxy)allyl bromides" Dhanjee, H.; Minehan, T.G. Tetrahedron Lett. (2010), 51, 5609-5612.
- "Concise Total Syntheses of Aspalathin and Nothofagin" Yepremyan, A.; Salehani, B.; Minehan, T. G. Organic Letters (2010), 12, 1580-1583.
- "A Sequential Indium-Mediated Aldehyde Allylation/Palladium-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Reaction in the Synthesis of 2-Deoxy-?-C-Aryl Glycosides" Moral, J. A.; Moon, S. -J.; Rodriguez-Torres, S.; Minehan, T. G. Organic Letters (2009), 11, 3734-3737.
- "Synthesis of Alkynyl Ethers and Low Temperature Sigmatropic Rearrangement of Ally and Benzyl Alkynyl Ethers" Sosa, J. R.; Tudjarian, A. T.; Minehan, T. G. Organic Letters (2008), 10, 5091-5094.
- "Palladium-Catalyzed Reactions of Arylindium Reagents Prepared directly from Aryl Iodides and Indium Metal" Papoian, V.; Minehan, T. G. Journal of Organic Chemistry (2008), 73, 7376-7379.
- "An Environmentally Benign Synthesis of cis-2,6-Disubstituted Tetrahydropyrans via Indium-Mediated Tandem Allylation / Prins Cyclization Reaction" Pham, M.; Allatabakhsh, A.; Minehan, T. G. J. Org. Chem. (2008), 73, 741-744.
- "Synthesis of Oxa-Bridged 7- and 8-Membered Rings Via Indium-Mediated Annulation of 1,4- and 1,5-Dicarbonyl Compounds with 3-Iodo-2-[(trimethylsilyl)methyl]propene" Allatabakhsh, A.; Pham, M.; Minehan, T. G. Heterocycles (2007), 72, 115-122.
- "Palladium-Catalyzed Reactions of Acetoxyenynes with Triorganoindium Reagents" Metza, J. T.; Terzian, R. A.; Minehan, T. G. Tetrahedron, (2006), 47, 8905-8910.
- “Low-Temperature n-Butyllithium-Induced Rearrangement of Allyl 1,1-Dichlorovinyl Ethers,” Christopher, A., Brandes, D., Kelly, S., Minehan, T. G. Organic Lett., (2006), 8, 451-454.
- Christine Dimirjian, "Towards the Synthesis of Diandraflavone" (2015)
- Xiao Cai, “Total synthesis of Polycarcin V” (2014)
- Miran Mavlan, “Synthesis of 3,3’-di-O-methylardimerin and evaluation of its DNA binding profile” (2014)
- Chikako Omura, “Synthesis of aryl piperidine and aryl aza-sugar compound: Mimics of DNA-intercalating agents” (2012)
- Samuel Rodriguez-Torres, “Development of a new route for the synthesis of 2-deoxy-C-aryl glycosides" (2010)