38th Annual CSUN Assistive Technology Conference Has Concluded
Building an Accessibility Program from the Ground Up
- Date & Time
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023 - 3:20 PM PST
- Platinum 7-8
- Historically, accessibility remediation of digital products (software, websites) has been an afterthought for companies operating in the information and communications technology (ICT) fields. As a result, such companies have mostly relied on third parties (consultants) for accessibility audits and remediation of their products, often treating accessibility issues as one-time problems that can be solved once and forgotten. However, accessibility remediation and maintenance of digital products is a process and a long-term endeavor. Therefore, it is more beneficial (and often more economical) for companies to develop in-house resources and talent to be able to continuously maintain and improve the accessibility of their digital products. An Accessibility Program, consisting of representatives of key stakeholders, including product development and support groups, can act as a hub of activity for providing accessibility audits, advocacy, training, remediation support, and progress reporting to internal and external stakeholders. The Accessibility Program at MathWorks, over its five years of existence, progressed from being an accessibility audit group to providing technical support for software development teams, and to promoting accessibility innovations applicable to our MATLAB product family. We will present the evolution of the Accessibility Program at MathWorks and how its basic steps, policies, and procedures can be applied in similar corporate settings in ICT fields.
- Higher Education
- Information & Communications Technology
- Research & Development
- Employment & Human Resources
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
- Based on our own experience, we will cover the essential steps for starting, developing, and maintaining an in-house digital/software/web accessibility program to remediate, maintain, and improve the accessibility of digital products in ICT fields.
- Primary Topic
- Digital Accessibility
- Secondary Topics
- Employment & Workplace
- Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
- Leadership & Strategy
- Session Type
- General Track
- Bora Eryilmaz
The MathWorks, Inc.
Add to Outlook/iCal (How it works)