38th Annual CSUN Assistive Technology Conference Has Concluded
Accessible PDFs: Creating Effective Training
- Date & Time
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023 - 1:20 PM PST
- Platinum 7-8
Creating accessible PDF documents is an essential component of most organizations’ digital accessibility process. However, organizations often struggle to get their staff trained and efficient at creating accessible PDFs. This presentation will review lessons learned from creating effective PDF accessibility training and how these can be applied to other organizations. Identifying document creators within the organization and the types of documents being developed is the first step. Depending on the findings, both standard and advanced PDF remediation training may be required.
Standard PDF accessibility training elements need to include:
• Understanding the WCAG requirements and how these impacts users of assistive technology. Demonstration of “before” and “after” remediation with a screen reader.
• Training on how PDF accessibility impacts an organization’s documents.
• Creating accessible templates for the organization and training staff on the use of these templates.
• How to structure documents for accessibility – starting with the source document.
• How to convert to PDF.
• How to test documents for accessibility.
Advanced PDF accessibility training elements should be provided for key staff creating a wide variety of documents as well as digital accessibility champions. Advanced training may need to include:
• Creating complex PDF tables.
• Creating fillable PDF forms.
• Creating complex alternate text.
• Advanced training on how to test documents.
This Presentation Link is provided by the Presenter(s) and not hosted by the Center on Disabilities at CSUN. The Center on Disabilities has confirmed, as of March 24 2023, content linked is relevant to the presentation, but has not been reviewed for accessibility nor will the Center on Disabilities attempt to remediate any accessibility issues in the linked content. Please contact the Presenter(s) with any accessibility concerns.
- Higher Education
- Healthcare & Rehabilitation
- Finance & Banking
- Administration & Business Support
- Audience Level
- Session Summary (Abstract)
- Creating accessible PDF documents is essential to most organizations’ digital accessibility process. This presentation will review lessons learned from creating effective PDF accessibility training and how to implement a training program.
- Primary Topic
- Digital Accessibility
- Secondary Topics
- Employment & Workplace
- Evaluation & Remediation
- Session Type
- General Track
- Michael Parker