In order to increase the recruitment and retention of Hispanic and other underrepresented Nutrition students, this project intends on providing a student support service to further advance their professional competencies in the area of breastfeeding education.
This project intends on creating an outreach program specifically catered to local high schools with predominantly Hispanic and low-income students. The outreach program is intended to raise awareness of nutrition issues in those communities while highlighting the benefits of local nutritionists.
Once enrolled in the Didactic Program in Dietetics at California State University, Northridge, the program will promote the retention of participating students by providing academic and professional support. Academic support will be conducted through the disbursement of scholarships; while professional support will be provided through the payment of registration fees to professional organization's meetings and conferences.
In order to address the need for more skilled Breastfeeding Technicians, the project will sponsor a breastfeeding education program to the students. The project will provide both a rigorous and current breastfeeding curriculum and an opportunity to work in a service learning internship at local, USDA*-sponsored, WIC clinics.
All project goals are intended to match the USDA* Strategic Goals and Educational Needs Areas.
*United States Department of Agriculture
- Marilyn Magaram Center
- Providence Tarzana Hospital
- California WIC - Northeast Valley
- CSUN - Institute of Community Health and Wellbeing
The measureable objectives of this project are:
1. Increase the recruitment of Hispanic undergraduate nutrition students from 25% to 35% by June 30, 2012
2. Increase the retention of Hispanic undergraduate nutrition students from 62% to 72% by June 30, 2012
3. Increase the professional competencies of 48 Hispanic and underrepresented nutrition undergraduate students in the field of breastfeeding education by June 30, 2012
USDA - NIFA
c/o Marilyn Magaram Center
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northrdge, CA 91330 – 8308