This program offered in partnership with local school districts, provides an opportunity for candidates with full-time employment as public elementary school teachers to complete a preliminary credential while on the job. The program, comprised of coursework, field experiences, and seminars, prepares interns with the knowledge and skills to work effectively with diverse urban learners. Courses are offered in the late afternoon and evening.
For questions about the intern program, please contact the intern coordinators:
Dr. Irene Cota;
Dr. Alison Muraszewski;
Distinctive Internship Program Features
- Leads to Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential.
- Offers alternative program option for BCLAD students.
- Includes highly interactive courses and seminars that link theory with practice and develop reflective practitioners prepared to work effectively with culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
- Ensures individualized advisement and mentoring.
- Provides individual guidance and support from CSUN faculty and school site personnel in the classroom of each participant throughout the program.
- Allows for coordinated transition from district/university pre-internship programs to CSUN internship program.
- Provides university transcript that documents credential coursework, facilitates transfer to school districts in any state, and qualifies interns for university-based advanced degree studies.
- Provides interns with enhanced employment status in some school districts.
|Total Required Units: 40|
|EED500 – Fundamentals of Teaching (3)|
|EED520 – Teaching Reading in the Elementary School (3)|
|EED550B – Supervised Fieldwork and Seminar (2), taken for first three semesters|
|EED577 – Language Arts and ESL Instruction (3)|
|EED565M – Mathematics Curriculum and Methods (3)|
|SPED420 – Improving the Learning of Students with Special Needs (3)|
|EED565S – Science Curriculum and Methods (3)|
|AAS, CHS, ELPS, PAS, ARMN 417 – Equity and Diversity in Schools (3)|
|EED575 – Integrated Social Studies and Arts: Curriculum and Methods (3)|
|EED515 – Basic Technology Methods (2)|
|KIN595PE – Applied Methods for Physical Education (1)|
|HSCI465ELM – Teaching Health in the Elementary School Classroom (1)|
|EED559C – Supervised Fieldwork Seminar (2)|
|EED559F – Student Teaching Seminar (1)|
|EED551C – Intern Teaching and Seminar (3), (student teaching)|