Developing Effective Teachers for Diverse Communities
The Accelerated Collaborative Teacher (ACT) Preparation Program is designed for post-baccalaureate credential candidates interested in pursuing a Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist Credential through an accelerated option. ACT is a two-semester full-time program that focuses on addressing the diverse needs of urban school learners. Candidates progress through the program as a cohort, completing fieldwork during the day and coursework in the late afternoon and evening. Through grant support from the Orfalea and Oak Foundations, and the U.S. Department of Education, the ACT Program incorporates neurodevelopmental methodology, an innovative and research-based educational approach in addressing the unique and diverse needs of K-12 students in urban schools. The ACT Program is accredited by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
Check out our flyer (.pdf)
ACT Program Components
- Core Courses: Two courses, completed by general and special education candidates, that focus on foundational knowledge and skills for teachers serving diverse urban learners.
- Specialization Courses: Classes each semester that target appropriate specialization areas.
- Fieldwork: Classroom assignments with experienced Cooperating Teachers that increase in duration and intensity.
Why Join ACT?
- ACT university and K-12 faculty committed to preparing exemplary teachers
- Personalized advisement and mentoring
- Progression through the program as a cohort
- Ongoing classroom support through university supervision and exemplary Cooperating Teachers
- Emphasis on meeting the needs of diverse urban learners through a neurodevelopmental approach to teaching
- Tuition costs significantly lower than many other institutions
- Forgiveness loans, scholarships and financial aid available
Accelerated and Convenient
- Completion of program in two semesters
- Late afternoon and evening courses
- Enrollment in courses guaranteed
What ACT Graduates Say...
- It was an unforgettable experience. A wonderful, balanced, fast-paced program that was very beneficial.
- Thank you for empowering me to learn. This was boot camp for future teachers.
- ACT prepared me well, helped me obtain a teaching position, and continued to provide resources for ongoing teaching.