Welcome, Prospective Applicant!
We appreciate your interest in our APA-Accredited Doctoral Internship in Health Service Psychology at University Counseling Services (UCS) at California State University, Northridge (CSUN). We know that the internship application process is an exciting milestone in your professional development. Congratulations! We also know that the internship application process can be stressful, and hope that the information we have included on our website assists you in this process.
We would like to highlight here some information about CSUN and, most importantly, the diverse students that we serve:
- one of the largest universities in the United States, with over 42,000 students
- located in the heart of Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley in a 356-acre park-like setting, in close proximity to a variety of cultural, recreational, and entertainment opportunities
- values the diversity of all of our students and the campus community
- designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American, Native American, Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI)
- ranks 10th in the country in awarding bachelor’s degrees to under-represented minority students
- ranks 5th nationally in awarding master's degrees to Hispanic students
- enrolls the largest number of deaf and hard-of-hearing students of any U.S. state university
- enrolls international students from nearly 100 countries
- 18 sports teams in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- a welcoming university that champions accessibility, academic excellence, and student success
We also would like to highlight some information about our counseling service and our training program:
- University Counseling Services is a department within the Division of Student Affairs at California State University, Northridge.
- UCS is responsible for providing mental health services to our students and campus community (e.g., intake/clinical assessment; triage/crisis intervention and case management; psychiatry consultation and medication management; individual, and couples psychotherapy; workshops and group psychotherapy; outreach, consultation, and program evaluation; peer education programs).
- UCS prepares interns to serve a diverse public through the provision of a variety of services to our diverse and complex population of students.
- Interns are trained through the primary educational model of our internship, a Developmental-Practitioner Model of training. As part of this model of training, we strive to provide an optimum learning environment that allows interns to build on the knowledge and skills they acquired during their doctoral training to obtain profession-wide competencies, and prepare interns for the independent practice of Health Service Psychology.
- Our multi-disciplinary training and supervisory staff are diverse in their backgrounds and theoretical orientations.
- We are committed to providing you with a tremendous year of learning and growth!
I thank you for researching our internship site, and invite you to contact me if I can provide any further information to assist you in your decision-making process. We look forward to receiving your application!