Making your first appointment is easy. Call (818) 677-2366 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our staff members will be able to schedule your initial appointment.
University Counseling Services (UCS) is fully committed to scheduling you to see a counselor as soon as possible. However, sometimes more students ask for services than our counselors can accommodate and this can lead to longer waiting periods before the initial intake interview. If your presenting concern involves an emergency or crisis, please inform our staff and they will discuss our emergency and urgent care services.
Prior to your first appointment, you will be asked to complete some paperwork similar to the forms you would complete before seeing a doctor for the first time. These forms will provide information about your history, your family and your current concerns. The information is valuable in helping us understand your needs.
Once you have scheduled your intake appointment, we ask that you complete the Intake Questionnaire and Consent Form online prior to your appointment day. It usually takes 20-40 minutes. Follow the instructions below.
- Log in to MyHealth@CSUN using your SOLAR user name and password.
- You will then be directed to a screen that asks you to verify your date of birth. When you verify this information, you will be directed to a new screen.
- From this screen, choose Appointments. Locate your upcoming appointment at UCS. At the bottom of your appointment, you will find a link in blue to our questionnaire. Click on this link and proceed to the questionnaire.
- When you have completed the questionnaire, select Submit. This will transmit the questionnaire to us electronically.
- Next, refer to the left-hand side of the screen, locate and select Forms. Then, proceed down the list to the bottom, locate and select UCS Informed Consent.
- Complete all required information on this form, then select Submit. This will transmit the second form to us electronically.
- Call our office at (818) 677-2366 and select option one to verify receipt of your forms.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes early for your initial appointment. During your first appointment, you will meet with one of our counselors and discuss the concerns that led you to visit University Counseling Services and how these concerns have impacted you. This appointment usually lasts between 35 and 50 minutes, and it gives the counselor the opportunity to learn about your needs and discuss how the services provided by UCS may help.
The intake counselor may refer you to individual short-term counseling, groups, workshops or recommend you see a psychiatrist for a medication evaluation. For students who may benefit for longer term or specialized treatment, the intake counselor may direct students to outside psychologists or treatment agencies to receive the care needed.