Faculty Book Group: Teaching Unprepared Students: Strategies for Promoting Success and Retention in Higher Education by Kathleen F. Gabriel
Fall 2009 book group details
- Three Thursday afternoon meetings
- October 15, November 5, and December 3 from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Meet in SH 439 (CIELO Conference Room)
- Light refreshments provided
- Free copy of the book to participants attending all three sessions in this book group series
Do you believe that students now are far less well prepared for college work than they used to be? Or perhaps you would suggest that students have always been unprepared for college, by definition? (After all, which of us was ready--really ready--for freshman year?) Ready or not, you'll find Kathleen Gabriel's book offers us plenty of food for thought. Mary Riggs (CHS and UNIV 100) led the spring 2009 book group; her very useful discussion questions appear under "Additional information" below.
Excerpt from Teaching Unprepared Students :
"The purpose of this book is to provide professors with teaching strategies and methods that will promote student engagement and improve performance for all the students in their classes, but especially for those who are at risk or unprepared, without sacrificing high standards or expectations." (5)
Additional information and even more reading (much of which is available in the AFYE library in CIELO):
- Adelman, Clifford. The Toolbox Revisited. 2006. Online at http://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/research/pubs/toolboxrevisit/index.html
- College-readiness Checklist from the AAUP publication Academe (Jan.-Feb. 2009)
- Leamnson, Robert. Thinking about Teaching and Learning: Developing Habits of Learning with First Year College and University Students. Sterling, WV: Stylus, 1999.
- Metamath.com Learning Styles Inventory
- "Proficiency Reports of Students Entering the CSU System." Offers systemwide statistics and campus-specific statistics. Online at http://www.asd.calstate.edu/performance/proficiency.shtml
- Riggs, Mary. "Some Discussion Topics for chapters 1-3" (.doc file)
- ---, "Some Discussion Topics for chapters 4-6" (.doc or .pdf)
- ---, "Discussion Topics for chapters 7-Epilogue" (.doc or .pdf)
- Romack, Jennifer. "Enhancing Students' Readiness to Learn." The Teaching Professor. Oct. 1, 2006. Abstract available online; full article available in CIELO.
- Stylus Publishing's website has additional information about Gabriel and this book
- "Understanding and Supporting the Learning Process for First Generation College Students at CSUN." Resource list from 5/5/09 presentation by Lideth Ortega Villalobos as part of the Freshman Faculty Series.
- The Teaching Goals Inventory (see note 1 on p. 30 of Teaching Unprepared Students)