- Ongoing: First-time freshman advisement and registration. (See the semester calendar--and remember, only brand-new freshmen starting at CSUN in fall 2013 are registering now!)
- May 6-16 (Monday-Thursday): Crunch Time at the USU Plaza del Sol and at Student Housing (Community Center): stress relieving crafts, snacks, massages and free test kits. Sponsored by Associated Students. Check the Crunch Time Schedule for details.
- May 10 (Friday): last day of class except for Saturday classes meeting once weekly.
- May 11 (Saturday): last class meeting for once-weekly Saturday classes.
- May 13-18 (Monday-Saturday): final exams.
- May 20 (Monday): Honors Convocation, Oviatt Lawn, 6 p.m.
- May 21-23 (Tuesday-Thursday): CSUN commencement ceremonies.
Looking Ahead: Summer and Fall 2013
- May 28 (Tuesday): Summer Session 1 and Summer Session 2 both begin
- July 10 (Wednesday): Strong Start Freshman Connection begins (Summer Session 3)
- August 7-23 (various days): New Student Orientation dates for freshmen (registration required)
- August 20 (Tuesday): Strong Start Freshman Connection ends
- August 23 (Friday): New Student Orientation for all Strong Start Freshman Connection students
- August 24 (Saturday): Fall 2013 Saturday classes begin
- August 26 (Monday): Fall 2013 weekday classes begin
- August 31-September 2 (Saturday-Monday): Labor Day holiday: campus closed.
- Check the University Events Calendar
- View the complete academic calendar for 2012-2013 (Faculty Affairs)
- View the complete 2013-2014 academic calendar (Faculty Affairs)
- View the schedule of classes calendar (Admissions & Records)
- View the semester bulletin (Admissions & Records)
- CSUN has subscribed to a terrific new online magazine focusing on health: Student Health 101. The December issue offers advice on stress management,healthy eating, and relationships ("Fling or Forever?"). Coming in January 2013: "Let's Talk Safer Sex," "Sharing Space: Dos and Don'ts," and "No Stove? No Problem!" And you can also apply to write for Student Health 101.
- Irreverent Sundial article: "What You Really Learned at College" by Jim McLauchlin (Dec. 4, 2012). In the U100 world, we sure hope you are aiming to be Hercules!
- "Taking University 100 was one of the best decisions I have ever made."--Spring 2012 U100 student, writing anonymously on a course evaluation form.
- "Live and Learn: Why We Have College" by Louis Menand. The New Yorker, June 6, 2011. If you wonder whether college is worth it all, take heart: professors are asking the same question. However: "Higher education is widely regarded as the route to a better life. It is sometimes pointed out that Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were college dropouts. It is unnecessary to point out that most of us are not Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg." That is, if you're thinking critically.
- "Books, Stress, Pizza: A Recipe for the 'Freshman 15'?" This NPR radio story discusses why some first-semester freshmen gain unwanted weight and what you can do if this problem applies to you.
- Do you need money to buy your CSUN textbooks? If you are not receiving Financial Aid, you might consider applying for the Bookstore Debit Card Loan Program. If you are receiving Financial Aid, contact Financial Aid and check on the status of your aid. Got Financial Aid questions? Try CSUN's Financial Aid TV. UNIV 100 textbooks, by the way, are available via the library's Course Reserves under UNIV 100. Finally: what if you rent a textbook but later decide you want to buy it? The bookstore says: "From now until around week ten of the semester, students will be able to just pay the difference between the rental fee and the price of the book (new or used, depending on the condition the book that they rented) to convert a rental to a purchase. After week ten, students will have to pay 110% of the retail price to convert from rental to purchase."
- Not sure how to navigate the SOLAR Student Center? Learn how, using the online How-To Guides for Students.
More about University 100
- Log on to Moodle for online discussion and your syllabus
- Course description, signature assignments, and outline of topics for University 100
- Student Learning Outcomes for University 100
- U100: The Core of the Course