Whether you did or didn't attend the 10/8/15 workshop on Promoting Academic Honesty, please take advantage of the workshop resources listed here.
Topics and presenters:
Introduction: Kristy Michaud, Political Science and Faculty Development
- Pedagogical Prevention: Kim Henige, Kinesiology
- Cool Technology, Helpful Strategies: Hillary Kaplowitz, Faculty Technology Center and Cinema & Television Arts
- Didn't They Learn this in Freshman Writing Classes?--Leveraging Prior Knowledge: Stefanie A. Drew, Psychology
- Dishonesty Consequences: Sam Lingrosso, Director of Student Conduct & Ethical Development
Discussion: Cheryl Spector, English and Academic First Year Experiences
Resources and readings:
You'll find the slides from Kristy and our four presenters (including the video clips discussing what CSUN freshmen typically learn about academic honesty in their writing classses) in this myCSUNbox folder: https://mycsun.app.box.com/s/m6frnqqfrwuwe4ta9sjmv7uwusjrkgpj
- Annoying Ways People Use Sources. Kyle D. Stedman. Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing, Vol 2. Ch. 2. 2011. Web. 27 Sep. 2015.
- Five Gears: the Teaching-Learning Group at CSUN
- Kahoot: Stefanie used this web-based app to demonstrate a low-stakes quizzing activity as part of the workshop.
- Plagiarism: articles from the Faculty Focus archive.
- Plagiarism as a "Source" of Concern. The Toolbox 10.6 (April 2012). Web. 10 July 2015. Includes links to two web-based plagiarism checker websites: Dupli Checker and Plagiarisma.
- Plagiarism: tutorials and tools from the Richard E. Bjork Library at Stockton University. Web. 10 July 2015.
- Poll Everywhere: Kristy used this web-based program to poll us on cell phone use while driving as part of the workshop.
- Promoting Academic Integrity: Are We Doing Enough? Maryellen Weimer. Faculty Focus, 22 April 2015. Web. Take a look at the comments that follow this article; readers answer the author's call for examples of how they support integrity in the classroom.
- Research Highlights How Easily and Readily Students Fabricate Excuses. Anna M. Carmichael and Lacy E. Krueger. Faculty Focus, 8 July 2015. Web.
- Student Conduct and Discipline. Student Affairs website for faculty, CSUN. Web. 9 July 2015.
- What Is Detected? Carl Straumsheim. Inside Higher Ed, 14 July 2015. Discusses the limitations of Turnitin. Web. 14 July 2015.