Through our platform of education, research, programming, and community integration, the Institute for Sustainability seeks to address our local, regional, and global ecological challenges. Our approach incorporates a broad range of knowledge systems including traditional ecological knowledge (TEK), local ecological knowledge (LEK), and western science to educate the CSUN community and the community it serves. Our mission and staff are committed to advancing environmental and food justice. Without environmental equity, there can be no sustainability.
Consistent with the mission and vision of the university, the purposes of the Institute are to:
- Promote and support curriculum development and curriculum innovation related to sustainability;
- Promote and support the educational and professional growth and development of faculty, students, staff and the community in the field of sustainability and serve as an educational resource for them;
- Support the pursuit of scholarly projects, creative activities, and research in the field of sustainability;
- Promote and support community-based projects and initiatives in the field of sustainability;
- Serve as the umbrella organization for university activities focused on sustainability and increase interdisciplinary and cross-functional communication to improve collaboration in this area.
- Serve as a resource and consultant to the university administration to facilitate campus improvements and obtain funding in areas related to sustainability.
- Support and aid in the application of sustainability practices in university operations and in coordinating sustainability efforts across campus to reduce resource use.
- Work with the faculty to seek and obtain funding from private and public agencies in support of sustainability-related projects.
- Support and aid in university planning in sustainability.
- Aid in the collection, analysis, and reporting of data related to sustainability including resource use, energy use, carbon emissions, and waste.
- Aid in the development of a Climate Action Plan for the university and participate in coordination and monitoring of related activities.
- Aid in reporting and liaison activities associated with the university’s pledge through the Second Nature (formerly American College and University Presidents’ Commitment on Climate Change - ACUPCC).