What is the Book Arts Lab?
The Book Arts Lab is a makerspace in the Department of English for exploring the book arts, historical and modern print technologies, and book binding traditions.
What equipment is available for use?
With proper training, you are allowed to use the following equipment:
- Digital Layout and Design Software
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Express
- Cricut Create Space
- Canon iPS6300 large-format printer
- Brother HL-L9310CDW CMYK desktop laserjet printer
- HP Black and White printer
- Trimming and Processing
- x-acto knives
- paper stack guillotine
- paper plough
- Cricut Maker 3
- Handbinding tools (needles, thread, etc.)
- Sewing Frames
- Manual Operation Swingline Saddlestitch Staplers
- Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Fastbind Elite XT Hot Melt Perfect Binder - ELXT110
- Paper Marbling
Past Projects Facilitated by the Lab:
- Artist Books
- Class Anthologies
- Creative Writing Theses
- Literary Magazines
- Sketchnotes Books
- Commonplace Journals
- Other things yet to be imagined or attempted!
Interested in Collaboration?
The Book Arts Lab is available to the CSUN community to help facilitate and develop independent, group, student club, or course projects. Please fill out the interest form and the Lab will be in touch!