The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a skip navigation and other utility links as well as the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.
Academic First Year Experiences
Sierra Hall 437
What I've been reading
Publications, presentations, and programs
- Beach Books: The View from My Island. In Thorne, Ashley. Beach Books 2013-2014: What Do Colleges and Universities Want Students to Read Outside Class? National Association of Scholars. Oct. 2014. 170-173. Online. (Or read the pre-publication PDF.)
- Freshman Focus at Cal State Northridge. ITL Connections 2.1 (Fall 2008). Institute for Teaching and Learning, The California State University. Online.
- CSU Northridge Transforms Its Approach to Information Competence. Co-authored with Susanna Eng. E-Source for College Transitions 4.5 (May 2007). Online.
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching CSUN Freshmen: Gum and Glory (.pdf). C.E.L.T. Letter, Cal State Northridge, Fall 2003.
- Editor, Aftermath: Essays in Response to September 11, 2001 by Freshmen at California State University, Northridge. Northridge, CA: CSUN, 2002.
- Articles on Maxine Kumin, Adrienne Rich, and Muriel Rukeyser. Encyclopedia of American Poetry: The Twentieth Century. Chicago, IL: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001.
- Out Far and In Deep: The Things They Carried. Invited lecture-discussion. Virginia Yerxa Community Read. Colusa, CA. Apr. 25, 2015.
- Investigation, Imagination, and Invisibility: Longbourn and Nickel and Dimed. Invited presentation. Santa Monica Reads 2015. Santa Monica Public Library, Santa Monica, CA. Mar. 3, 2015.
- Exploring the Role of Common Readings in Student Engagement. With Leslie Jo Sena and Karen Weathermon. National Conference on the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition. Dallas, TX. Feb. 8, 2015.
- Shaping the Debate about Common Reading Programs. With Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Leslie Jo Sena, Gina Garera, and Amanda Breu. National Conference on the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition. San Diego, CA. Feb. 17, 2014.
- CSUN's University 100 Makes Transition to Moodle. Digital Stories Blog, CSUN. Sep. 25, 2012.
- The New High Touch, High Tech University 100: Using Technology to Supplement the Freshman Seminar. With Cecile Bendavid, Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Ellyn Gersh Lerner, and Lisa Riccomini. (View presentation in CSUN's Teaching & Learning Bytes Video Archive.) Apr. 25, 2011.
- Executive Order 1048: Mandatory Early Start at CSUN. Campus plan. Nov. 2010.
- Orchestrating Learning: The Example of To Kill a Mockingbird. With David Aks (Music), CSUN. Nov. 6, 2010.
Freshman success, transfer student success, common reading programs, freshman pedagogy, faculty development, learning communities
Jewish-American writing, intertextuality, American literature (esp. fiction, 1820-present)
The BEAMS project at CSUN