The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a skip navigation and other utilty links as well as the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.
- Academic First Year Experiences
- Sierra Hall 437
- Email: email@example.com
What I've been reading
- Whistling Vivaldi by Claude Steele
- Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? A Memoir by Roz Chast
- The Pedagogy of Confidence by Yvette Jackson
- Longbourn: A Novel by Jo Baker
- Every Day by David Levithan
- Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger III, and Mark A. McDaniel
- Engaging Ideas, 2nd ed., by John C. Bean
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- The Los Angeles Times
- The New Yorker
Publications and presentations
- Beach Books: The View from My Island. In Thorne, Ashley. Beach Books 2013-2014: What Do Colleges and Universities Want Students to Read Outside Class? National Association of Scholars. Oct. 2014. 170-173. Online. (Or read the pre-publication PDF.)
- Freshman Focus at Cal State Northridge. ITL Connections 2.1 (Fall 2008). Institute for Teaching and Learning, The California State University. Online.
- CSU Northridge Transforms Its Approach to Information Competence. Co-authored with Susanna Eng. E-Source for College Transitions 4.5 (May 2007). Online.
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching CSUN Freshmen: Gum and Glory. C.E.L.T. Letter, Fall 2003 (.pdf file).
- Editor, Aftermath: Essays in Response to September 11, 2001 by Freshmen at California State University, Northridge. Northridge, CA: CSUN, 2002.
- Articles on Maxine Kumin, Adrienne Rich, and Muriel Rukeyser. Encyclopedia of American Poetry: The Twentieth Century. Chicago, IL: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001.
- Exploring the Role of Common Readings in Student Engagement. With Leslie Jo Sena and Karen Weathermon. First Year Experience Conference, Dallas, TX. Feb. 8, 2015.
- Shaping the Debate about Common Reading Programs. With Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Leslie Jo Sena, Gina Garera, and Amanda Breu. First Year Experience Conference, San Diego, CA. Feb. 17, 2014.
- CSUN's University 100 Makes Transition to Moodle. Digital Stories Blog, CSUN. Sep. 25, 2012.
- The New High Touch, High Tech University 100: Using Technology to Supplement the Freshman Seminar. With Cecile Bendavid, Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Ellyn Gersh Lerner, and Lisa Riccomini. (View presentation in CSUN's Teaching & Learning Bytes Video Archive.) Apr. 25, 2011.
- Executive Order 1048: Mandatory Early Start at CSUN. Campus plan. Nov. 2010.
- Orchestrating Learning: The Example of To Kill a Mockingbird. With David Aks (Music), CSUN. Nov. 6, 2010.
- Overview of Academic First Year Experiences at CSUN. Presentation to ELPS 710, CSUN. June 18, 2010.
- Engaging CSUN Freshmen and the Faculty Who Teach Them. Teaching & Learning Bytes, CSUN. Mar. 30, 2009.
- Regional & System-Wide Partnerships: Bridging the Gap between the Local and the National. Roundtable presentation (program chair). National First Year Experience & Students in Transition Conference. San Francisco, CA. Feb. 17, 2008.
- Cultivating Innovative & Engaged Learning Opportunities for Students: CIELO. CSUN Faculty Retreat, January 2008.
- A Look Back at the Vietnam War: With Special Attention to The Things They Carried. Panelist for Center for Ethics & Values Event, CSUN. Sep. 19, 2007.
- Off to a Good Start: Cross-Divisional Support for First Year Students. Plenary presentation with Scott Evenbeck (IUPUI) and Orenthia Mason (Jarvis Christian College), IHEP/BEAMS Summer Academy, Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico. July 24, 2007.
- Information Competence as Festival: Working with a First-Year Experience Librarian. With Susanna Eng. National First Year Experience & Students in Transition Conference, Addison, TX. Feb. 16-20, 2007.
- Linking and Learning: The Freshman Connection and Supplemental Instruction. With Sheryl Thompson. Faculty Retreat, CSUN. Jan. 2006.
- FIGs, First-Year Clusters, Linked Classes, Learning Communities: Institutional Barriers and Institutional Support. With Lisa Riccomini and Tina Bertacchi Love. Regional First Year Experience Conference, Costa Mesa, CA. Nov. 6-8, 2005.
- Powers of Two: Using Graduate Student Mentors in the Freshman Seminar Program at CSUN. With Merril Simon and Toni Aho. Annual First Year Experience Conference, Phoenix, AZ. Feb. 7, 2005.
- The ABCs of First-Year Student Learning: Goals, Outcomes, and Challenges. CSUN Faculty Retreat, Oxnard. Jan. 2005.
- Students on Academic Probation: A Campus Conversation. Organizer and Moderator. CSUN. Oct. 27-8, 2003.
Freshman success, transfer student success, common reading programs, freshman pedagogy, faculty development, learning communities
Jewish-American writing, intertextuality, American literature (esp. fiction, 1820-present)
The BEAMS project at CSUN