The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a skip navigation and other utility links as well as the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.
Academic First Year Experiences
Sierra Hall 437
What I've been reading
- Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon
- The Ecstasy of Influence by Jonathan Lethem
Recent reading: A-Z by title. I highly recommend starred titles (***).
***All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul
- The Book of Unknown Americans: A Novel by Cristina Henríquez
- Candide by Voltaire
- ***Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? A Memoir by Roz Chast
- ***The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
- Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
- Deep Down Dark by Héctor Tobar
- ***Engaging Ideas, 2nd ed., by John C. Bean
- ***Every Day by David Levithan
- Eviction: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
- ***Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
- July, July by Tim O'Brien
- The Lakota Way by Joseph M. Marshall, III
- ***The Los Angeles Times
- ***Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger III, and Mark A. McDaniel
- The Meaning of Human Existence by Edward O. Wilson
- My Life So Far by Jane Fonda
- The New Yorker
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Orphan Train: A Novel by Christina Baker Cline
- The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
- ***So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
- Take This Man by Brando Skyhorse
- Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
- The Wave: A Novel by Todd Strasser
- Whistling Vivaldi by Claude Steele
- The White Album by Joan Didion
Publications, presentations, and programs
- Beach Books: The View from My Island. In Thorne, Ashley. Beach Books 2013-2014: What Do Colleges and Universities Want Students to Read Outside Class? National Association of Scholars. Oct. 2014. 170-173. Online. (Or read the pre-publication PDF.)
- Freshman Focus at Cal State Northridge. ITL Connections 2.1 (Fall 2008). Institute for Teaching and Learning, The California State University. Online.
- CSU Northridge Transforms Its Approach to Information Competence. Co-authored with Susanna Eng. E-Source for College Transitions 4.5 (May 2007). Online.
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching CSUN Freshmen: Gum and Glory (.pdf). C.E.L.T. Letter, Cal State Northridge, Fall 2003.
- Editor, Aftermath: Essays in Response to September 11, 2001 by Freshmen at California State University, Northridge. Northridge, CA: CSUN, 2002.
- Articles on Maxine Kumin, Adrienne Rich, and Muriel Rukeyser. Encyclopedia of American Poetry: The Twentieth Century. Chicago, IL: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001.
- Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman: Panel discussion. With Linda Rader Overman and David Gerrold. West Valley Regional Branch, Los Angeles Public Library, Reseda, CA. Oct. 24, 2015.
- Out Far and In Deep: The Things They Carried. Invited lecture-discussion. Virginia Yerxa Community Read. Colusa, CA. Apr. 25, 2015.
- Investigation, Imagination, and Invisibility: Longbourn and Nickel and Dimed. Invited presentation. Santa Monica Reads 2015. Santa Monica Public Library, Santa Monica, CA. Mar. 3, 2015.
- Exploring the Role of Common Readings in Student Engagement. With Leslie Jo Sena and Karen Weathermon. National Conference on the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition. Dallas, TX. Feb. 8, 2015.
- Shaping the Debate about Common Reading Programs. With Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Leslie Jo Sena, Gina Garera, and Amanda Breu. National Conference on the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition. San Diego, CA. Feb. 17, 2014.
- CSUN's University 100 Makes Transition to Moodle. Digital Stories Blog, CSUN. Sep. 25, 2012.
- The New High Touch, High Tech University 100: Using Technology to Supplement the Freshman Seminar. With Cecile Bendavid, Susanna Eng-Ziskin, Ellyn Gersh Lerner, and Lisa Riccomini. Apr. 2011.
- Executive Order 1048: Mandatory Early Start at CSUN. Campus plan. Nov. 2010.
- Orchestrating Learning: The Example of To Kill a Mockingbird. With David Aks (Music), CSUN. Nov. 6, 2010.
Freshman success, transfer student success, common reading programs, freshman pedagogy, faculty development, learning communities
Jewish-American writing, intertextuality, American literature (esp. fiction, 1820-present)
The BEAMS project at CSUN