Internet Resources for Math & Science Educators
(1) Links for Science and Math Resources on the Web: Develop an organized set of links for sites that are useful to those teaching your subject. (sample)
(2) Science and Math Software on the Internet. Download and run two or more useful science or mathematics freeware of shareware programs. Make links to the download sites.
- Shareware | Sources of Freeware and Shareware
- Include paragraph summaries of the software and links to it on your website and in the newsgroup .
(4) Literature Search: Use online resources to locate scholarly articles that deal with the teaching of a specific concept in your discipline (for example, "ecology" is too broad", while "greenhouse effect" is sufficiently specific. Read the abstracts and articles (accessible at the CSUN library), summarize the findings in your own words(5) Internet Resources:
- Standardized Exams: Link to resources for helping prepare students for standardized exams in math or science. Provide a paragraph description of these resources.
- Professional Organizations: The two best professional organizations in your field with a brief paragraph of the resources you find most beneficial to you.
- Equipment & Supplies: Link to your two favorite sources of supplies and write a description regarding what makes them particularly useful.
(6) Develop a Lesson Plan that Uses Real-time Data from the Internet: Develop a lesson for students in one of your classes that requires them to access and analyze current data. The lesson plan should include:
- Major concepts
- Performance objectives (what will students be able to do when the lesson is completed?)
- Detailed handout that will lead students through the lesson
- A listing of URLs that will be accessed
Sites that may be helpful when making lesson plans (Frequently updated information)
- Solar observatory: Watch recent activity on the Sun's surface
- Air Pollution: Los Angeles air pollution maps
- Weather Resources: Up to the minute weather reports
- Earthquakes Locate the epicenters of recent quakes.
- Stocks & Investing: stock performance and quotes complete with real time data
- Climatological Data: JPL/ Topex-Posideon .
- Heavens Above: Track the position of space stations and satellites.
- Spaceweather: Current information about the Earth/Sun environment
- Astronomy Data: phases of the Moon, sunrise/sunset, eclipses, etc.
- Sun Clock; Current time around the world
- Maps: Current weather maps, air pollution maps, traffic maps
- Tides: Tide predictions for the United States
- Real time data from Space: Video and text data from NASA
(7) Science & Math Image library: Develop a math or science image library.
- Develop a slide show using the photo management software on your local computer
- Include a link to a slideshow you have posted at Picasa or other similar resource (example).