Task 5 - Reflection Commentary
Adapted from: PACT Handbook - Science Teaching Event Candidate Handbook 2008-2009; Performance Assessment for California Teachers
Write a commentary of 3-5 single-spaced pages (including prompts) that addresses the following prompts. You can address each prompt separately, through a holistic essay, or a combination of both, as long as all prompts are addressed. We strongly encourage you to use the numbering and titles shown below.
(1) Reflection on Learning - When you consider the content learning of your students and the development of their academic language, what do you think explains the learning or differences in learning that you observed during the learning segment? Cite relevant research or theory that explains what you observed. (TPEs 7, 8, 13)
- The Sourcebook for Teaching Science - Chapter 24 - Science Curriculum and Instruction ( theorists)
(2) Students as Science Learners - Based on your experience teaching this learning segment, what did you learn about your students as science learners (e.g., easy/difficult concepts and skills, easy/difficult learning tasks, easy/difficult features of academic language, common misconceptions)? Please cite specific evidence from previous Teaching Event tasks as well as specific research and theories that inform your analysis. (TPE 13)
- The Sourcebook for Teaching Science - Chapter 7 - Thinking Critically & Misconceptions
(3) Future Plans: If you could go back and teach this learning segment again to the same group of students, what would you do differently in relation to planning, instruction, and assessment? How would the changes improve the learning of students with different needs and characteristics? (TPE 13)