- Ph.D. in Sociology from University of Hawaii at Manoa in the year 1994.
- Masters in Philosophy from Wuhan University in the year 1986.
- B.A./B.S. in Chemistry from Wuhan University in the year 1983.
- Soc 305: Culture and Personality
- Soc 340: Sociology of Work
- Soc 348: Juvenile Delinquency
- Soc 350: Population Dynamics
- Soc 355: Criminology
- Soc 368/S: Classical Sociological Theory
- Soc 468/S: Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Soc 498A/B/CEE: Field Study and Reports
- Soc 498S: Seminar in Field Study and Reports
- Soc 555: Seminar in Criminology
- MPA 630: Organizational Theory and Human Behavior
- MPA 642A: Ethics and Professionalism
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Victor N. Shaw. 2008. In View of Academic Careers and Career-Making Scholars: Innovative Ideas for Institutional Reform. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2007. Crime and Social Control in Asia and the Pacific: A Cross-Border Study. Lanham and Oxford: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2004. Career-Making in Postmodern Academia: Process, Structure, and Consequence. Lanham and Oxford: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2002. Substance Use and Abuse: Sociological Perspectives. Westport and London: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1996. Social Control in China: A Study of Chinese Work Units. Westport and London: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2010. "Keeping Order in a Time of Dynamic Change and Exchange: Social Control in Asia and the Pacific.” Pp. 39-63 in Police without Borders: The Fading Distinction between Local and Global, edited by C. Roberson, D. K. Das, and J. K. Singer. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2006. "Within an Ever-Expanding Knowledge Enterprise: The Intellectuals and Their Inevitable Role of Increasing Functionality Yet Decreasing Power.” Power and the Role of the Intellectual, edited by S. Kamel. Cairo, Egypt: Cairo University.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2001. “Mainland China’s Political Development: Is the CCP’s Version of Democracy Relevant?” in The International Library of Politics and Comparative Government, edited by C. Lin. Aldershot, UK: Ashagate Publishing.
- Xinyi Xu. 1994. “The Chinese Mass Media.” Pp. 169-195 in Handbook on Chinese Popular Culture, edited by D. Wu and P. Murphy. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Victor N. Shaw. 2010. “Crime and Social Control in Asia and the Pacific: An Examination of Larger Social Institutions and Processes.” Criminal Justice Studies: A Critical Journal of Crime, Law, and Society 23.4: 303-323.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2010. “Corrections and Punishment in China: Information and Analysis.” Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice 26.1: 53-71.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2009. “Scholarly Publishing: Reform for User Friendliness and System Efficiency.” Journal of Scholarly Publishing 40.3: 241-262.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2008. “Youths on the Move in Asia and the Pacific: An Overview of Causes and Consequences of Social Disorganization.” Journal of Social Sciences 10: 85-95.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2008. “In a Time of Rapid Social Change: Organized Crime in Asia and the Pacific.” International Journal of Social Inquiry 1.1: 29-46.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2006. “China under Reform: Social Problems in Rural Areas.” China Report 42.4: 341-368.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2006. “Making an Academic Career in the Postmodern Era: What Is It to Pass, What Is It to Build, and What Is It to Bear?” International Journal of Contemporary Sociology 43.1: 27-48.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2005. “Research with Participants in Problem Experience: Challenges and Strategies.” Qualitative Health Research 15.6: 841-854.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2005. “The Life Course of Academic Professionals: Substantive Tasks, False Assumptions, Institutional Accommodations, and Personal Adjustments.” Advances in Life Course Research 9: 333-350.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2003. “Within and Without National Borders: Crimes and Deviance in Asia and the Pacific.” International Journal of Comparative Criminology 3.2: 119-148.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2003. “Social Conditions, Self-Perceptions, and Sexual Impotency.” International Journal of Impotence Research 15.3: S8.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2002. “Peer Review as a Motivating Device in the Training of Writing Skills for College Students.” Journal of College Reading and Learning 33.1: 68-76.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2002. “Counseling the University Professor on the Securing of Research Grants and the Publishing of Research Products.” Education 123.2: 395-400.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2002. “Substance Use and Abuse: A Career Perspective.” Addiction Research and Theory 10.6: 501-534.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2002. “Essential Social Sciences Skills in College and University Education.” Contemporary Education 72.1: 39-43.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2001. “Training in Reading Skills: An Innovative Method from Classroom Instruction.” Reading Improvement 38.4: 188-192.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2001. “Self-Dialogue as A Fundamental Process of Expression.” Social Thought and Research 24.1/2: 271-312.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2001. “Training in Presentation Skills: An Innovative Method from Classroom Instruction.” Education 122.1: 140-144.
- Victor N. Shaw. 2000. “Toward Professional Civility: An Analysis of Rejection Letters from Sociology Departments.” The American Sociologist 31.1: 32-43.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1999. “Toward a Systematic Understanding: A Two-Way Relational Model between Drug Use and HIV/AIDS.” AIDS and Public Policy Journal 14.1: 30-43.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1999. “Reading, Presentation, and Writing Skills in Content Courses.” College Teaching 47.4: 153-157.
- Victor N. Shaw, Yih-Ing Hser, M. Douglas Anglin, & Kathleen Boyle. 1999. “Sequences of Powder Cocaine and Crack Use among Arrestees in Los Angeles County.” American Journal of Alcohol and Drug Abuse 25.1: 47-66.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1998. “Productive Labor and Thought Reform in Chinese Corrections: A Historical and Comparative Analysis.” The Prison Journal 78.2: 186-211.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1997. “Reform of the Socialist Housing System in China.” China Report 33.2: 125-144.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1997. “Urban Housing Reform in China.” Habitat International 21.2: 199-212.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1996. “Job Preferences and Work Ethics: A Comparison between China and South Korea.” Asian Profile 24.3: 195-206.
- Victor N. Shaw. 1996. “Political Democratization in China: Is the CCP’s Version of Democracy Relevant?” Issues & Studies 32.7: 59-82.
- Xinyi Xu. 1996. “The Role of the State in Economic Development: Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan.” International Quarterly for Asian Studies 27.1/2: 51-68.
- Xinyi Xu. 1995. “The Impact of Western Forms of Social Control on China.” Crime, Law and Social Change: An International Journal 23: 67-87.
- Xinyi Xu. 1995. “Vertical and Horizontal Behaviors in Organizations: China and South Korea Compared.” International Quarterly for Asian Studies 26.3/4: 365-381.
- Xinyi Xu. 1994. “Organizational Control in Chinese Work Units.” International Sociology 9.4: 463-474.
- Xinyi Xu. 1994. “People’s Conciliation: A Mode of Conflict Management in China.” International Journal of Conflict Management 5.4: 326-342.
- Xinyi Xu. 1993. “Policy Evaluation in China’s Housing Reform.” Evaluation and Program Planning: An International Journal 16.1: 39-47
- Victor N. Shaw. 2009. Review of “Crime, Social Control, and Human Rights: From Moral Panics to State of Denial.” International Journal of Justice Review 19.2: 226-227.
Research and Interests
Comparative justice, criminology, deviance and social control, law and society, substance abuse and treatment, social problems, work and organizations, race and ethnic relations, Asian American community, policy analysis, higher education, and research methods.