Google Resources - Sites, Docs, etc.
Create a Google Account by creating a g-mail account:
- If you have a gmail account, you already have a Google account (other than your CSUN my.csun.edu account) and there is no need to create one. Note: Although CSUN student email is administered by Google, it is best to have a separate gmail account.
- Create a gmail account. With your gmail account, you automatically get a Google Account. This will give you access to a wide variety of free Web 2.0 applications and personalized services, including website, blogs, wikis, calendars, maps among others.
- Set up mail forwarding. If you use a different email as your primary address, set up your gmail account so that it forwards to your main account. Do the same with your university email.
Configure your Google Account
- Complete your profile in your Google Account: Add your photo and other relevant information.
- Note: You don't need to have a g-mail email account to open a Google account, but we strongly recommend that you create a g-mail account as described above. It is important that your Google account profile list the email address(es) that you provide to others for collaborative work. When someone gives you access to edit a Google site or other wiki, he does so by registering your email as a "collaborator". If you log in to your Google account using an email other than ones on his list, you will not see the "edit" button and will be unable to edit any pages in his Google site or wiki. To avoid problems, I suggest that you register all of the email addresses you use in your Google account profile. By so doing, you will be able to edit Google wikis provided the owners have used any or all of your email address when establishing their collaborator lists.
Editing Google Sites & Wikis
- Google Sites - Build a website using only your browser software
- Google Wikis - Build collaborative websites which can be edited by multiple users
- Google Docs - Interactive Web-based documents
Google Collaborative Resources:
The following are free collaborative educational resources that are provided with your Google account. Many additional resources are available. We will use these in class as specified in the syllabus.
- List of Google Applications and Resources
- Google Docs - online collaborative spreadsheets, forms, docs, presentations
- Google Sites - Create a website & wiki
- Groups - electronic discussion groups
- MyMaps - personalized maps
- Gmail - email
- Picasa - organize and share photos
- Translate - Translate text and websites
- Videos - Youtube
- iGoogle - You choice of news, photos, weather, and stuff from across the web to your page.
- Blogger - web logging - Complete your profile in your Blogger Account: Blogger is a blogging utility sponsored by Google. It requires a different profile than Google. Please complete the Blogger profile using a recognizable photo or yourself. This will be helpful when making comments on each other's blogs
Recording of Lesson