On October 30, 2010, my beloved wife, Roberta Herr, passed away from this life and went home to be with the Lord. I have created a website to share the memory of my wonderful wife: robertaherrr.com.
Courses Dr. Herr Teaches
- SED 525S Methods of Teaching Science
- SED 525SL Methods of Teaching Science Lab
- SED 554 Seminar for Field Experience in Science
- SED 555 Seminar for Student Teaching in Science
- Science 595G - Earth Systems Science
- SED 514 Computers in Instruction
- SED 619 Educational Website Development for the Sciences
- SED 646 Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- SED 625 Theory and Research in the Teaching of Science
- SED 699 Independent Study in Science Education
- SED 695B Advanced Laboratory Curriculum Development
- SED 695G Computer Supported Collaborative Learning
- SED 671 Designing Computer-Based Instructional Materials
- Geology 595 Earth Systems Science Education
- ELPS 710 Instructional and Curricular Leadership for Systematic Reform
- ELPS 789 Doctoral Dissertation Seminar
Research & Writing
- Authored research in; Journal of
Science Teacher Education; International
Journal of Science Education;School Science
and Mathematics; Journal
of Research in Science Teaching; Science
Education; College and University; and National Association
of Secondary School Principals Bulletin, and Science
- Principal Investigator or co-investigator for 66 grants (> $6 miillion) from organizations such as the W.M. Keck Foundation, the Richard Riordan Foundation, the Microsoft Corporation, the International Business Machines Corporation, CSU Foundation, National Science Foundation, California Science Project, Browning Ferris Industries, CSU Chancellor's Office, California Science Project, Earth System Science Education Alliance, Southern California Earthquake Center, Eisenhower Science Leader Initiative, California Post Secondary Education Commission/ITQ, AACT Innovative Teachers Grant, SCALE/QED, Hewlett Packard Pedagpg 3.0, HP Leadership,University of California, NCLB, Math Science Technology Initiative (MSTI), and the California State University.
- Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles
- C.Phil. University of California, Davis
- M.S. University of California, Davis
- B.S. University of California, Irvine
- Director of Science Education Programs at CSUN
- Co-Director of Instructional Technology Program at CSUN
- Science Specialist for California Science Project
- Science Specialist for Eisenhower Science Leader Initiative
- Co-Founder - Computer Supported Collaborative Science
- Director of Implementation for NSF Research Fellowships
- Co-director of Eisenhower Science Leader Initiative
- Director of BFI Environmental Education Program
- Director of Beck:Hands-On Science Programs
- College of Education at CSUN Director of Technology
- Co-director of CSUN/Valley Teacher Academy Program
- Coordinator of the W.M. Keck Laboratories for the Teaching of Science and Mathematics
- Consultant for the College Entrance Examination Board's Advanced Placement Biology Program
- Member of Association of State Technology Using Teacher Educators.
- Co-director of Sustainability and Dissemination in the Development of Teacher/Student Researchers
- Director of HP Leadership Project
- Director of HP Catalyst Academy MOOC
- Co-Director of NASA-JPL CSUN Pre-Service Teacher Institute
Other Activities & Responsibilities
- Core Faculty Member in CSUN Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership
- Elder at Valley Presbyterian Church, in North Hills, California.
- Facilitator: CSUN Christian Faculty Association; Faculty Commons -Herr
- Teacher: Valley Presbyterian Church Youth
- Webmaster for the CSUN Science Education
- Webmaster for the College of Education
- Science Advisor for Valley Presbyterian School, in North Hills, California.
- Former chair of the Science Department at Maranatha HS, Pasadena, California.
- Photographs: personal photo collection
- Backpacking (Extensive backpacking in California's Sierra Nevada, and othe North American ranges
- Peak Climbing (Class 1,2,3 climbs of peaks and high points
- Ask Dr. Norm
- Skiing (Alpine, cross country and ski mountaineering)
- Mountain Biking
- The Bible The Bible in many languages
- Valley Presbyterian Church, in North Hills, CA.
- United States National Park System: Links to U.S. National Parks
- Wilderness Areas: Wilderness Areas in the United States
- Park Search: Search for National Parks, State Parks and wildlife refuges
- National Park Reservation System: Camping in the National Parks
- TopoZone: USGS (United States Geological Survey) topographical maps.
- Terraserver: Satellite photos & topographical maps.
- Park-Net: Camping in State Parks
- National Recreation Reservation System: Reservations for U.S. Forest Service Campgrounds
- Inyo National forest: Eastern Sierra backpacking
- Sierra Club: Premier organization for preservation and conservation
- Wilderness Society: Working to preserve wilderness. .
- Nature Conservancy: Fighting to preserve natural communities and wild lands.
- LA Trails: Local mountain biking trails
- Weather and Skiing conditions
- Southern California Mountain Biking: Biking trails in the local mountains.
- Single Track: Biking trails in the local mountains.