Elements of Lesson Design (Hunter)
Dr. Madeline Hunter's research indicates that effective teachers usually include the following elements in their lessons.
1) Anticipatory Set - A short activity, dispatch or prompt that focuses the students' attention and ties previous lessons to today's lesson.
2) Purpose - An explanation of the importance of this lesson and a statement concerning what students will be able to do when they have completed it.
3) Input - The vocabulary, skills, and concepts to be learned.
4) Modeling - The teacher demonstrates what is to be learned
5) Guided Practice - The teacher leads the students through the steps necessary to perform the skill using multiple modalities.
6) Checking For Understanding - The teacher uses a variety of questioning strategies to determine if the students are understanding.
7) Independent Practice - The teacher releases students to practice on their own.
8) Closure - A review or wrap-up of the lesson.