Methods of Teaching Science - Objectives
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: The primary objective of this class is to equip prospective science teachers with the subject-specific knowledge and techniques necessary to effectively teach the concepts of the physical and biological sciences to today's secondary school students. By the end of this course students will be able to:
(1) Science Education in America: Describe the system and status of science education in America in an international context and be able to develop criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of science instruction.
(2) Administration and Management of the Science Classroom: Understand the features of managing a science classroom and identify those administrative techniques necessary for efficient operation.
(3) Using the Sciences to Stimulate Cognitive Development: Present science lessons in a way that fosters higher order reasoning.
(4) Effective Teaching Techniques for the Sciences: Employ a variety of effective teaching techniques in presenting scientific concepts.
(5) Motivation Techniques: Identify those techniques which motivate students and develop science lessons which employ such techniques.
(6) Resources for Science Educators: Identify the various resources available to science instructors and develop resource files.
(7) Professional Growth: Identify and use those resources aimed at promoting the professional growth of the science teacher.
(8) Communicating the Relevancy of Science: Understand and communicate the significance of science in the lives of secondary school students.
(9) Curricular Requirements and the Articulation Process: Discuss the logic of the state science framework and develop logically sequenced curricula for specific science courses.
(10) Specific Ideas for the Teaching of the Life Sciences: Identify and use a wide variety of specific teaching techniques for the life sciences.
(11) Specific Ideas for the Teaching of Chemistry: Identify and use a wide variety of specific techniques for the teaching of chemistry.
(12) Specific Ideas for the Teaching of Physics & Earth Science: Identify and use a wide variety of specific techniques for the teaching of physics and earth science.
(13) Self Evaluation & Critique: Assess the effectiveness of one's own teaching.