Don't be a victim! CSUN Faculty and Staff continue to receive and respond to fraudulent email messages. By responding to fraudulent email, faculty and staff email account passwords are stolen and used to generate more fraudulent email, and the university is at risk of being blocked by other email providers (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, RoadRunner) from receiving legitimate CSUN email. NEVER SHARE YOUR CSUN Password or other confidential information by email.
Cal State Northridge will never ask you to provide your password, social security number, or any other personal information by email. If in doubt, do NOT respond to suspicious email, and do NOT click on suspicious URL's included in email. Instead, forward suspicious email to firstname.lastname@example.org and then DELETE those messages.
Characteristics of Fraudulent Email:
- Ask for sensitive information (e.g., click here to verify your username and password)
- Contain spelling and/or grammatical errors (e.g., thank you, from trusted administrator)
- Threaten you (e.g. do this or else your account will be deleted)
- Contain suspicious web addresses/URLs (e.g., visit the CSUN page by visiting: http:// www. csunorg31.com/account)
- Originate from unknown or untrusted senders (e.g., from: email@example.com)
- Contain unexpected/inaccurate content (e.g., you've exceeded your email quota)
- Are generically addressed (e.g., dear CSUN customer)
- Ask you to download something (e.g., click here to get the necessary virus update file)
- Expresses an urgency (e.g., you must click here immediately to avoid having your account terminated)
What to do if you responded
Sample fraudulent message #1
Subject: CSUN Account Alert
Dear CSUN User,
This E-mail been sent to you by the CSUN Email Verification Team to inform you that your account will be deactivated within the next 24 hours if not verified by us, this is due to several unsuccessful log in attempt on your account.
To prevent this from happening please log in securely to our activation link below and fill out the required field.
For immediate access, please CLICK HERE to validate your account:
If you have already confirmed your information then please disregard this message.
CSUN Account Services.
Sample fraudulent message #2
Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!
Your CSUN Email account has been reported for numerous spams Activities from a foreign ip recently. As a result you may not be able to receive or send new mail. However, you might not be the one promoting this Spam, as your e-mail account might have been compromised. To protect your account from sending spam mails, You are to confirm your true ownership of this account, Kindly CLICK HERE and fill the form and login again.
Failure to do this will violate the IT Policy. This will render your account inactive. NOTE!!: You will be sent a password reset message in next seven (7) working days after undergoing this process for Security reasons. The office of Information Security will keep this updated if information should change, but we encourage all users to run their updates after the expected release of this patch. Authorised by: Baker, Hilary J. VP for Information Technology/CIO.