For this cooking class, you will learn
- The importance of a sharp knife
- How to use a whetstone, how to care for them, and what happens to a knife during sharpening
- How to sharpen and maintain your knives
- The class will also focus on knife skills through sushi
- How to properly prepare and season sushi rice and how to make basic sushi rolls.
Chef Harold Avila attended Culinary School at The Art Institute of Los Angeles. He received his Bachelor’s of Science in kinesiology with an emphasis on Education at California State University Northridge. He has been in education for over 15 years and has been teaching Culinary Arts at Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies for the past five years and has worked with CSUN’s MMC and Education Department for the past 3 years.